twenty-five

I was fifteen when someone took my heart

I was fifteen when someone took my heart. I didn't receive any love letters from him as an exchange, but I continued to hope that maybe at another time, maybe even in my dreams, I'd receive an answer from him.

On the stormy night of Halloween, I didn't get a love letter but a spoken confession. It was my first.

Unfortunately, it didn't come from the person who had my heart.

Throughout the irregular lightning flashes, Finn tried to find an answer in my eyes. I felt like crying. I felt like walking away. But his confession seeped into my skin and paralyzed my whole body. There was a slight tremble in my hands and throat.

My phone rang in my hand, and it distracted us, thankfully. I turned away from Finn and answered the call.

"Where are you?"

Hearing Michael's voice almost made me cry out in relief.

I looked around and adjusted my eyes to the darkness so I could make out the words written on the top of a door. Then, I told him where we were, and he hung up.

"Who was that?" Finn asked.

"Michael. He's coming to pick us up."

He reached out for my hand again, but I hesitated. "Autumn, about what I—"

"Finn, thank you."

"Thank... you?" His voice was broken as he slowly drew his hands away.

I swallowed hard. "Well, um, yes. Thank you. It was... nice to hear," I said, trying to be as polite as possible. "But I need time to think it over."

Time. Yes, I needed time to think and say my answer properly. My mind was still racing, and my stomach was feeling uneasy. I felt sick.

His mouth remained slightly agape as if he was thinking about his next words. "I knew there was a 'but' coming. There always is." The disappointment in his voice was unmistakable.

"I'm sorry."

"I understand. You're probably shocked to hear that." Looking away, he brushed the back of his head and curled his lips into an empty smile.

We didn't speak for a moment, just staring at the darkness until it got lighter. I spun around, and a flashlight almost blinded me.

"There you are," a voice called.

Slowly, I trailed my eyes starting from the heavy boots, black pants, black vest on top of a long-sleeved white shirt, long black cape, his unsmiling face, and to his messy hair that once again covered his eyebrows. He looked beautiful. An attractive young Dracula.

Finn nodded at him. "Hey, Mike. You came faster than expected."

"I thought you wouldn't come tonight," I said.

"Just got delayed. Wardrobe problems." Michael shrugged. "The others told me you guys were here, so I immediately came to see what's up. And it looks like—" he shone his flashlight up and down on us "—you two had some fun." His smile didn't waver when he said that. It just solidified there, not helping me to figure out if he was being sarcastic or not. I just hoped he didn't think Finn and I had some romantic escapade.