sixteen

Hayden doesn't know how to feel.

He doesn't know how to feel when he sees Annie from across the hall, and he doesn't know how to feel when he sees her throw her head back in laughter at something one of her friends said. His heart hurts knowing that in five minutes he'll be sitting next to someone who he doesn't love anymore, and can't help but wish he was with someone he did.

"Hey babe." The familiar tapping of heels and the high pitched voice came as a shock to Hayden, as he turned around to see Kenzie smiling.

"Hi." He replied, a half smile forced onto his face.

"What's wrong?" She asked, quickly pecking his lips.

"Did you tell Annie not to talk to me anymore?"

"Babe, I-"

"Really, Kenz?" The blood pulsing through Hayden's veins was so loud he could hear it, and the commotion around them seemed to fade away.

"I love you. I don't want her to get in the way of us." Hayden couldn't tell, but he was almost certain that Kenzie's calm demeanour was an act.

"You're the one getting in the way of us!" Hayden yelled.

"Hayd-"

"No, you couldn't stand the fact that maybe I knew a girl that was prettier than you, that was nicer than you!" He shook his head and scoffed before continuing. "She actually defended you. Annie was willing to let you walk all over her because of how god damn insecure you are!"

"I just thought-"

"You didn't think! You just did."

Kenzie's eyes were filling with tears, but the anger standing in front of Hayden's eyes was to thick for him to notice. He followed her wandering gaze to the throngs of people in the hallway that now had their eye's fixed on the two. Hayden turned back to Kenzie, who tried to hug him, and looked surprised when he backed away.

"We're over." He whispered, his jaw trembling.

Hayden turned on his heel to walk away, but was frozen when he saw the very subject of the argument standing at the end of the hall, staring. And, as quickly as she was there, she was gone.