thirty one

"Hayden?" Annie called from his doorway. She hadn't bothered to knock, knowing full well that he wouldn't have answered.

She heard a groan coming from the bathroom, which she followed to find Hayden sitting, shirtless, with his head hanging over the toilet.

"Hey." He said, his voice husky.

Annie plopped down beside him, pulling out the contents of the shopping bag she had.

"I brought Advil, Gravol, and Zinc."

"Zinc?"

"Your immune system's probably not too happy right about now." Hayden let out a loose laugh, grabbing the water from the counter and taking one of each tablet.

"Thank you." He said, leaning in for a kiss. Annie quickly backed away, scoffing.

"I can smell you from here." She got up, grabbing his hand and pulling him with her. "Have a shower and brush your teeth, then maybe I'll think about it."

Hayden smiled at her as she turned and walked out of the bathroom, and quickly turned the shower on and brushed his teeth.

-

Hayden came out after his shower in pyjamas, Annie no where in sight.

He frowned ever so slightly, and walked into the kitchen, surprised to see Annie sitting at the table eating a sandwich, another one sitting on the other side of the table. He shook his head, laughing, and sat down to eat.

"So," Hayden said, halfway through a bite. "Who's Hayley?"

Annie stopped, her face dropped and she put her sandwhich down.

"Who told you about her?"

"Caleb mentioned her." He replied, confused.

"He shouldn't have."

Annie stood up and took her plate to the sink, leaning against the counter. Hayden heard a small sniff, before he got up and wrapped his arms around her waist. Suddenly, she turned around and buried her head into Hayden's neck, sobbing.

"Hey," he whispered, rubbing her back. "You're okay."

And he left himself wondering how this incredible girl could be so broken and he didn't know.