Chapter 4

(Just a heads up its gonna take a couple more chapters before there's a camren moment)

It wasn't long before I was sitting in a brightly lit kitchen. Mrs. Whitesides had offered coffee, and I'd graciously accepted a cup. I idly twirled my spoon before lifting the drink to take a sip. The Whitesides sat at the table staring at me like I'd sprouted a second head. "You don't look like a cop," Jacob said. He was the Whitesides' youngest son. I knew that because they'd told me their oldest was out of state at the Texas University.

 I looked at the pink frilly drapes over the window. Mrs. Whitesides touch was undeniable. I turned my gaze back to the boy of sixteen. He looked a little bit older, one of those sixteen-year-old's who could pass for eighteen. 

His eyes were the deep dark brown of his father's, and they both sported the same light summer tans. Jacob's hair was a few shades lighter than Mr. Whitesides, but the height, the eyes, and facial structure were unmistakably his father's genetics. Mrs. Whitesides looked immaculately clean. Her blond hair was shoulder length and pulled out of her face to show startling blue eyes. The features of her face were soft and delicate. In size, she was tiny between her son and husband. I took another sip. "That's because I'm not a cop."

 "Then why are you here?" Mr. Whitesides asked.

"I work with the cops and they want me to question you," I said flatly. "But we've already been questioned," said Mrs. Whitesides. "You haven't been questioned by someone who knows about the preternatural." 

"And you do?" Jacob snorted.

 I stared into his rich brown eyes and he looked away first. "Yeah, I do." Everyone fell silent. Mrs. Whitesides leaned into her husband, narrowing her eyes at me. Her eyes kept flicking to the pewter necklace hanging over my shirt. I ignored it. 

"What were you doing that all three of you noticed the werewolf?" I asked. "Werewolf?" Mrs. Whitesides laughed. "It was a wolf." Great, she was going to deny what it was. I knew what it was based on the crime scene. I'd only seen one other werewolf killing, and that was a year ago on an out-of-state job.

 A single wolf wouldn't take down a man. They hunt in packs, and packs keep their distance from humans. Should I also mention that we don't have wolves in Miami? Nah. "Whatever you say," I said. "What were you doing?" I arched a brow this time. "We were going to check on the herd," Jacob said. "I heard something howl and got my parents. We went out to make sure there weren't any wolves or coyotes trying to get past the fence."

 Fuck it, I couldn't help it. "Just for your information, there aren't any wolves in Miami. Wolves were hunted to near extinction so many years ago that they're only found in a few places in North America—Wyoming and other mountainous regions." "It was a wolf." Mrs. Whitesides voice was harsh.

 "Mrs. Whitesides, I've seen a werewolf before. They're as real as you and me, but a hell of a lot furrier and scarier." She just stared at me, mouth open. "When?" she asked boldly. "I was on the job about three years ago. The werewolf's brother had reported her. Said that his sister was acting strange and he couldn't find her." "What happened?" Jacob wiggled in his seat, eyes burning with a sudden interest in the story.

 "The cops sent me out," I said, leaving out the part that no one had taken the call seriously enough to send me out with backup. "I found her in the woods near the house." "And?" He pressed. I shrugged. "And," I added, "that's all you need to know. The government knows about these things, but with the vampires taking over all of the media coverage, the people are kept in the dark. All we know is that not all of the wolves out there are hostile. If they were," I shrugged, "there'd be more bodies." "Our government knows about this?" he asked, confused. "Yep."