Chapter 12

Shawn drove back to Guns Unlimited so that I could get my car. Dinah buckled her seat belt, sitting behind him. I leaned back between the seats and fished out the black duffel bag I'd stuffed my knives and guns in, putting the wrist sheaths back on, sliding into the shoulder holster, looping the small of the back holster through my jeans, and plucking the jacket from the floorboard.

 I buttoned the jacket up over the weapons and put on my seat belt. Shawn turned the key in the ignition. "So," he said, flicking his gaze to the rearview mirror. "why is she in my backseat?" I shot him a blank look. "She's helping me." 

"She's not connected to the murder?" I looked at her then. She didn't say anything. I sighed. "No," I said, "but someone in her pack might be." Dinah spoke up from the backseat. "Taylor didn't do it." 

"I know that," I said. "How?" Dinah and Shawn asked in unison.

I smiled darkly. "'Cause I do." I wasn't going to tell Dinah. I might have told Lauren, but I didn't trust Dinah, not just yet. "Well, I guess that's good," she mumbled. "Taylor doesn't kill her victims." "Who's Taylor?" Shawn asked, taking his eyes off the road for a second. "The alpha female of the local werewolf pack," I answered. Dinah said rather cryptically, "You're lucky we didn't know you were there, Camila."

 "Dinah," I said, "part of my job description is not getting caught." I turned back to Shawn. "Here's the breakdown," I said. "The countess vampire, Lauren Jauregui, has agreed to help me with this case. Dinah is also helping me." "You think your case coincides with her missing brother?" I shrugged. "I don't know. I can't be sure." I turned to Dinah. "You agree to talk to me, correct? You do realize that in order for me to find your brother I have to know more about your pack?" Dinah muttered under her breath. "If one of the pack members touched him, they're dead." Her voice shook with anger. "Yes. I'll talk, if it's the only way to help you solve your case and for you to find my brother." 

"Do you think it's safe taking her home with you?" Shawn asked as if Dinah wasn't in the seat behind him. "Dinah?" I asked. "If you think I'm going to tell someone where you live, I won't. Lauren has made it perfectly clear that you are under her protection—even the pack wouldn't risk challenging her. I certainly wouldn't risk it alone," she said. "Besides, to break the trust of another Lykos goes against pack law, whether you're a member or not."

 "Lykos?" Shawn asked. "It's Greek for 'wolf,'" I said. Dinah nodded. "You're not involved with them," Shawn said. "How do you know?"

 "I took mythology in college, remember? A lot of the studies we did covered a very broad spectrum of mythos."

 "I know the pack structure of a wolf pack is similar to the wolf packs in the wild," Shawn said, "but just how structured are they?" Dinah met his gaze in the rearview mirror. "I can't share that information with you." Shawn smiled. "That answers my question." Dinah frowned at him. "What does the Countess of Miami want with you, Camila?"

 "I'm not exactly sure, but I'm guessing she's trying to stay on the good side of publicity and in everyone's good graces." Dinah laughed from the backseat. "Lauren," she said, "trying to stay in everyone's good graces." She laughed. "That you think so shows you don't know her very well." I frowned. "I don't know her." I turned as much as the seat belt would allow. "Which brings to mind," I said, "how do you know her and how well do you know her?"

 "I work for her," she said. "I wait tables at the club." She grinned. "I make good tips. I also happen to live with her, so yeah...I know her fairly well."

 "You live with her?" Shawn gave her a disbelieving look in the mirror. For some reason, the idea of Dinah living with Lauren really didn't sit well with me. Were they lovers? Was that why she lived with her? I frowned. "Yes," she said, "I live with her. I take care of her house. She offers me a place to stay."