Headaches and Revelations- Part 18

Head pounding, Zeke ran through all of the major points again:

"Carter has accessed her email, used her phone, and has been seen on video footage in the last 24 hours." He dragged in a deep breath. "That it?"

"Yeah, like I told you already," Raffi said. She clicked here and there on her triad of computer screens. "If I didn't think she was still alive, I'd know for sure you killed her."

Zeke chewed on another set of Advil, even though Raffi had said nothing would alleviate the side-effects but time. He wished he was chewing on Vicodin, and he made a mental note to check her bathroom vanity later.

"How's that?"

"Well, besides you being the last dope to see her alive, you were also spotted on a corner-store video feed near her house that same night, the night you can't quite remember."

That was it, the clincher from the cops. Video footage. Indisputable.

He swiped at the layer of sweat on his forehead. "Where was she spotted?"

Raffi squinted at the screen. "Reports don't confirm it was her, but I ran her image through the system and got this." She pointed at a grainy photo of a slight woman, dark hair, entering a drug store. "Is that her?"

From the quality of the black and grey image, she could've been anyone. Zeke sighed. "I don't know. Could be."

"Aaand that's why you're a suspect."

"Well, can you enhance the image?"

Raffi swiveled back around, chuckling. "Sorry, this ain't CSI."

Zeke shook his head. "What about Campbell, damnit?"

Click, click, click. "Still figuring her. She was reprimanded for taking the vehicle off-site during an active investigation, though her motive for doing so remains unlisted." Raffi highlighted a slot on Campbell's behavioral file that read: not specified.

He grated out the obvious: "There's something there."

Raffi snorted out laughter. "What? You gonna interview her?"

"No, didn't work the last time, not with our history. But you can do it."

Raffi arched an eyebrow. "'Cause she's into hot chicks?"

Zeke tilted his head. "Ya know, she just might be."

In that moment, he tried turning off the image of his cousin and Campbell, but he just couldn't.

And then he started to enjoy it.

~*~