Background and thoughts...

Hey!

So, you like author notes and explain-y chapters, or you hate them. I hope you stick around either way, as I'll keep this brief.

My idea for The Night Reporter started as a two-chapter contest entry for the mystery profile. Otherwise, I would've never written a mystery story. 

After two chapters (and not winning the contest), I continued writing, because I really like Zeke's character. He reminds me of my own worst impulses. Plus, he's an asshole, and I've been described as a nice person, so it's fun to live vicariously through assholes.

Anyway, further inspiration for Zeke's continued (mis)adventures came with the help of my wonderful husband. He has read too many mystery novels to count, while I have not read enough. He also works at the local sheriff's department, and helped me fix the codes in the beginning of the story. Apparently, I had Googled Canadian police codes in the initial version XD

Although my husband has been my biggest sounding board, I've had help from others, including my classmates. While in Creative Writing courses, I developed the first few chapters of The Night Reporter, and received invaluable feedback. Allison, Chelle, Misti, Tico, Paula, and Dr. Allerdyce, you guys are great! As I experienced writer's block, I talked it through with another classmate, who specializes in Native American studies, and he told me about skin-walkers or (yee naaldlooshii). Thanks, Matt!

As for the setting, well, I live in Florida. It often gets a bad rap, but is actually a pretty cool place. We're not all crazy Florida Men. Swear.

Thanks for reading, and enjoy The Night Reporter...