Choice

Every once in a while the guards will round up young maidens from local towns of Asgard. And today was one of those days. The girls will all dress in their best and line up for the guards to 'inspect'. A few will be selected and taken to the palace where there they will be given to members of the royal court. I am finally of age to be selected and I'm rather excited. I pull my blonde hair into a French braid down my back and slip on my nicest dress. It was plain white and had a few tears. We can here the horses coming and everyone rushes to the town square. Me and a few others come from the orphans home and others come from their families.

The guards give the basic instructions and blah blah. I can't even understand what they're saying I'm so nervous. I stare at my shoes for a long time until someone nudges my side. I look up and everyone's starring at me. In front of me was a tall man in golden armor and he cleared his throat. "I'm sorry." I mutter. He keeps staring then finally speaks.

"This one." My heart stops. Gasps were released and slight murmurs. Eventually two guards are leading me to a carriage where three other girls were sitting. All much older than I. I sat across from them and ignored their stares. I was silent the whole ride to the palace, ignoring everything that they said.

It was almost nightfall when we arrived. Many maids were waiting to take us away and make us presentable. Everyone rushed away as I just stood there. Eventually a maid was assigned to me and lead me to the palace. The inside was huge and elegant. I was too busy gawking to watch where I was going. I walked right into a column in the middle of the hallway and fell backwards. Quickly the maid rushed to my side to help me up. I heard someone laughing to my left. There was a huge window with someone sitting on the ledge. It was hard to tell what they looked like because of the darkness but they held a ball of light in one hand and a book in the other. I got up and brushed myself off.

"It's not nice to laugh at someone." I remark.

"Well it's kind of hard not to when you walked right into it, literally." The voice was masculine and smooth. I started blushing. The maid grabbed my hand and hurried me into a room. She pushed me to sit In front of the mirror. She never talked only nodded. She re did my hair and put me in a nicer and cleaner white dress.

Eventually she was rushing me to the throne room where the others were waiting. I stood among the three girls in front of the King, Queen, and the prince Thor. The choosing was silent the Queen chose the tallest the king chose the eldest and there left me and the prettiest. It was no doubt that the prince would choose her. But it was almost ten minutes of standing there while he eyed us both. Eventually the doors opened and someone walked in. The prince nodded to him and looked at us. The man walked into my view, he was tall and dressed in leather pants and had a green cotton shirt on. They whispered to each other and Thor started to laugh. I grew anxious. Eventually they both turned to face us giving us both a slight nod. Thor walked forward and took the girl next to me's hand. My stomach sank. I would be taken back to the orphanage. I lowered my head. The tall man started to walk away and stopped moments later. He turned around and stared at me. "Well, are you coming or not?" I immediately looked up of him embarrassed, I started to blush. I started walking towards him but tripped over my gown and fell. He started laughing. And then I recognized his voice. "Clumsy child." I got up and death glared at him. "Now, don't be grumpy with me." He turned on his heels pleased with himself and walked out me following close behind.