Stupid Questions

Betty sat expectantly on the edge of her bed. It was dark outside, early morning. The only sound was the dronning ring of her phone as she waited for someone to pick up on the other line. Betty chewed her bottom lip anxiously.

"Betts?" a voice asked, groggily.

"Hi, Juggy." she couldn't help the wave of reassurance from entering her voice.

"Betty, what's wrong? It's like two a.m. are you okay?!" He sounded worried, his voice no longer tainted with tiredness.

"No, no. Everythings fine. I just... I'm sorry Juggy. Go back to bed. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Wait, Betts, no. Why'd you call?"

Betty pushed a hand through her messy hair. "I just miss you. A lot." It was funny how she could feel the heat rising in her face even though he was not there to see her blush.

Jughead sighed. "Oh. I miss you too. But you're right. I'll see you tomorrow. We're gonna spend all day together."

"I hate being apart so long." Jughead had been gone for the last week, visiting his mom. The whole thing was very vague and Betty wasn't exactly sure what was happening. Jughead had said that his mom had called and wanted to give him 'something', that it was a family thing he had to deal with in person. Betty desperately wanted to go with him, but they were in the middle of their midterms and Jughead refused to let Betty ruin her grades for basically a week long bus ride. They had promised to call everyday and still, Betty's whole being seemed to ache whenever he wasn't around. School was hell.

To make it up to her, Jughead compromised. They were going to have one massive date when he got back, to make up for the lost week of time together. There was apparently an agenda and a surprise dinner somewhere, but Betty wasn't allowed to know anything.

"What are you doing?" Betty asked. She went to the window and looked out. From here Betty could see the ladder, propped inconspicuously against the side of her house. She smiled fondly.

"I was sleeping, not very well though. Now, I'm making a sandwich." He said the last part with his mouth full of food and Betty giggled.

"Typical." She yawned.

"Betts, get some sleep. Okay? I'll see you tomorrow- er - I guess today- bright and early."

"Mhmm." Betty mumbled already flopping onto her bed.

"Good night."

Betty woke up energized. Sun was streaming through her window and she swore birds were singing. Despite being awake just hours before, she was giddy with anticipation. She sat at her vanity, finishing another coat of mascara and grinned at her reflection. She was wearing a pink tank top and jeans. She'd left her hair down. There was a knock at her bedroom door and Betty's heart jumped.

"Yeah?" she said. The door opened and Polly peaked in. "What's up, Polly?"

"Oh, Betty! You look beautiful. What's the occasion?" Polly hedged, stepping further into her room. Betty smiled and blushed a little.

"Jughead get's back today."

Polly was about to respond when there was a honk from outside. Betty jumped up and leaned out the window. There he was, leaning against the side of the Keller family truck.

"Polly, I gotta go. Talk to you later?"

"Sure thing. Go have fun." And Betty was off, practically flying down the stairs and into his arms.

"Juggie!"

"Hey, Betts. Miss me?" Jughead raised an eyebrow and smirked.

"Don't ask stupid questions." she muttered as she pulled his face down to hers, fitting their lips together. She could feel him smiling and she couldn't help but grin too. When they broke apart Jughead was laughing.