※ 5 ※

The next day, a bang at the door jolts me awake. Still half-lost in my dream, I grab the nearest weapon I can find (my pillow) and tiptoe to the apartment door. The banging continues until the lock clicks open from the outside. The door wooshes open to reveal Daniel, dressed hastily in a crumpled t-shirt and pajama bottoms that threaten to slide down to his ankles.

"Really?" Daniel taunts, a smile playing on his lips. "Who did you think came for you? The boogie-man?"

I tuck my pillow under my arm. "No, I was just..." I say, clearing my throat.

"Well, training starts in an hour, so meet me outside this building at 8:45." He blinks and scans me up and down with his eyes while I give him a defensive look. With that, Daniel slams the door in my face, leaving me wondering how he got a key to my room.

I sigh loudly, throwing my pillow on the floor and making my bed. I gather some workout clothes from the closet, resisting the urge to go crawl under the sheets. Before I leave, I check my reflection in the mirror: long ponytail, comfy green t-shirt, and athletic shorts. While observing myself, I notice one peculiar thing about my outfit: my shorts have belt loops.

I soon meet my family in the cafeteria. After a quick breakfast of two thick biscuits, a banana, and some milk, I go back to the apartment building to wait for Daniel. I lean against the building, sweat building under my pores. Pure blue sky, luscious greenery, and intense humidity. I hope this training program isn't too rigorous.

A laugh come from the building, and I turn towards the source. Right in front of my face, a nurse kisses Daniel. What the heck? As soon as he pulls away from the make-out session, the guards tell them to move away from the doors. Daniel kisses the girl goodbye, and she crosses the lawn with a lovestruck stumble, brown hair blowing in the wind.

I watch Daniel admire the girl from a distance. I hold back a snort and decide to go in for the kill. Scootching closer to him, a sarcastic line pops in my head.

"Is she the real Juliette?" I ask.

Daniel keeps his eyes on his girlfriend in the distance. "Sure, why not? I have a new one every couple months or so."

"Ugh." I say with a grimace. I can tell I am getting under Daniel's skin.

"At least I can get people to like me," Daniel retorts, turning his eyes to me. "All you do is piss people off."

I cross my arms. "No, I only piss you off."

"Whatever," he says. With that, Daniel leads me across the grounds to a flat building near the coastline. The salty air fills my lungs as blue water laps the white sand. Dense trees and brush hug the coastline, creating a picture-perfect view.

"Quit drooling," Daniel says. He wakes me from my trance and lightly shoves me in the direction of the building. He curls a finger from him to me, saying, "This way."

With a grumble, I follow him down a winding path and concrete stairs to the entrance of a facility. Daniel greets the guards and pushes open the door to reveal a simple lobby. He leads me directly across the room and through another set of doors. Inside is a dark, grim-looking room filled with workout equipment and weaponry. There are about a hundred people in the room, already exercising on workout equipment and practicing various climbing drills.

I spot a set of doors opening to my right, and a full shooting range is revealed. Tons of people aim guns, bows, and knives at targets. The base camp must be creating fighters. A large gunshot fires nearby, and I jump as Daniel laughs.

Feeling out of my element, I keep closer to Daniel than I usually would. "Not what you were expecting, eh?" asks Daniel.

"I can't shoot a gun if that's what you mean," I reply, watching a girl aim at a target.