Preview

Michael was walking down the street like every morning at 7:30. The walk to the  office was always very long, but walking was the best way he had to think. 

He had recently seen in the newspapers a newcomer in the IT business;  Ethan Chandler, his old boyfriend. 

He was happy for him, however else should he feel ?

A few months months later, that same man was a millionaire who had created his own sustainable phone brand, operating system and so on... 

Michael always knew that as despicable as this man was, he had it in him to overcome the worldwide market. And now, he was way more than the guy who enjoyed experiencing new ways to technology. 

He was a crazy rich genius who had been ranked "technological pioneer of the year" by the financial times.

Michael thought that the richer and the more successful Ethan was, the better and busier his life would be. Therefore granting him the well-deserved peace he had fought for.

He was just wishing for  his life to remain as peaceful as it had been for the past months and for Ethan to stay as far from him as he could. 

Their relationship was twisted and as much as he had to crawl to get out of it, he held no regrets or remorses.

On the 1st of January, he received a letter, unsigned, with a single white rose in it. He threw it to the garbage without even thinking of it again. 

He had always hated roses with a blinding passion.

One day at work, a man delivered fifty roses, no less. He was shivering while signing the receipt. 

What kind of joker would spend so much on undesired flowers ?

Every week during two years, he received a new gift, sometimes weird objects, sometimes roses and  flowers, sometimes sketchy sentences.

"He who laughs first laughs last"

Whoever sent these wanted to scare him badly. He always made sure to get rid of everything as fast as possible.

Winter came with all its complications, Michael didn't like winter, it made him weak, cold and sick and he certainly didn't like to be weak.

He felt like something was off these days, something was wrong, very very wrong and he had to figure out what it was.

He entered the building, checked his mailbox and found nothing. A strange sense of relief coursed through his body. 

No peculiar gift, no ominous letters. Maybe he was finally let off the hook by his mysterious admirer.

He went up the stairs and opened his door. 

The apartment was dark, as he has left it. Yet something made his hair straighten at the back of his head. A cold shiver ran through him as he forced himself to calm down.

What was wrong ?

He went into his tiny kitchen and poured himself a glass of water, everything was fine.

His backpack was swiftly thrown on the couch. He thought about ordering some chinese food, or maybe pizza ? He just felt too tired to cook.

Mike had been living in this small apartement for 2 years now and he always liked the idea of forming his own nest without having to listen to someone else's interior design preferences. 

His belongings were few, but it was enough. A kitchen the size of a toilet cabinet with a tiny refrigerator. His living room comported both, his couch and his single bed as well as an old TV he picked up from his old teenage room back at his mother's.

With time, he hoped to find a bigger place, but that would involve having someone with him to fill up the space. Maybe a cat ? Or a nice boyfriend ?

He sighed deeply and lied back against the headboard, his hand reaching for the remote.

That's when he noticed it was not in its usual sport. He always set it atop the fluffiest pillow and it never budged.

A panicked feeling chased all rational emotions and he decided to make a run for it and leave this instant.

Too slow...

Suddenly, a hand blocked his mouth and all the lights went on at the same time.

So this is a very short chapter, the next one is coming either tomorrow, either on wednesday. I want you to understand that I made it so short on purpose so I can make  you want to read my story.

your dedicated author