Chapter 3

"Where's Elena?" Bonnie leans over to Caroline's desk and asks. She looks at the clock on the side of the wall which reads 7:58 AM.

"No idea.." Caroline replies, while not even glancing at Bonnie, "Ask Matt."

"Maybe you would know, if you would just stop staring at the new guy." Bonnie winks and bursts into laughter when she sees Caroline roll her eyes.

Tyler, the brooding jock, death-stares Stefan, when he realizes Caroline can't keep his eyes off of him. "Who even is this dude," Tyler whispers to Matt while pointing to Stefan.

"Careful Ty," Matt smirks, "your jealousy is showing." Tyler lightly punches his arm and moves back to his seat.

The bell rings and a few minutes later Elena runs into class. "Sorry, sorry! I couldn't find a ride and it was too late to walk and-" Elena rambles and gets interrupted by the teacher, Mr. Saltzman.

"It's fine, Elena." he laughs, "Don't let it happen again. Take a seat. Today we're working in partners, kids."

Stefan can't keep his eyes off Elena, like his eyes are super-glued. He smiles at her while she walks by and she notices and blushes. She sits right next to him in the empty seat.

Matt notices Elena's choice in seating and becomes furious, especially when there was an empty seat right next to him that he saved for her. Tyler mocks Matt, "Careful, Matt. Your jealousy is showing."

"Why the hell is the new guy making romantic eye contact with Elena?" Caroline squints her eyes, "Someone has to let him know she has a boyfriend!"

"Oooh. Romantic eye contact," Bonnie smiles, "let's hope they're wearing protection."

Matt is filled with jealousy and anger at this point and can't handle it. He gets out of his seat and starts walking up to Elena. He puts his arm around her and kisses her passionately which shocks her at first, but she kisses back. Stefan immediately feels a sharp pain in his stomach, like that kiss just stabbed him.

"Really, Donovan? Gilbert? I know my classroom is nice, but maybe get a room," Mr. Saltzman jokes.

"Oh trust me, we will." Matt smirks and Elena rolls her eyes. "Anyways. Partners?"

"Yeah.. but you know we have to talk about what happened earlier." Matt puts his finger up to her.

"Shh. No more talking." Stefan looks at him like he's about to give him a black eye. Did he really just shush her? He wonders why he's feeling so protective over someone he had just met. Every atom in his body was telling him that Matt isn't right for him, though, he doesn't know if he should get in the way.