Discreet (xEngineer)

+Author's note
Starting the book off with everyone's favorite Texan!

Legs propped on a broken sentry, Dell laid back on a wooden crate, his arms hung lazily around (Y/n) as they watched the sunset bounce off the cliffs together.

Their sighs of contentment soon turned into groans as they heard a pair of familiar footsteps run towards them.

"Yo egghead! You here again with (Y/n)?"

The girl rubbed her temples, Dell relunctantly withdrew his arm, the wooden crate under him creaking as he changed his posture to something less intimate than before.

"Yea Scout?" he asked tiredly.

"Doc said dinner's ready"

The obnoxious sounds of his chewing and gum popping mixed together as the Bostonian's eyes darted between the two suspiciously.

Dell gave a sigh.

"Tell 'em we'll be there soon"

Scout didn't move, still bouncing there on his heels, and it took a scowl from (Y/n) to have him hightail back to the base.

+++

It had already been 2 years since (Y/n) had officially been deemed as Mrs. Conagher. It was a life changing moment for the two love birds, a momentous time that Dell vowed he would never forget.

And they both never did, but they probably would have if not for the secret meetings out the base.

+++

"Whaddya mean we can' see each other?!"

Ms. Pauling lifted her clipboard defensively against Dell's rage, a sheepish look on her face.

"Morale's low as it is guys, The administrator wants doesn't want them to think that you get special treatment-"

"WHAT SPECIAL TREATMENT?! WE'RE MARRIED DAMMIT-"

Holding onto her husband's arm, (Y/n) pulled him back from scaring the young woman further.

"C'mon Dell, let her finish-"

"Ah-ah..hah.. Look I'm sorry guys, I didn't get to have a say in this either. It's just that the people we hired all left their friends and family behind, and she doesn't want them complaining about being unfair, or about anything else any more than they already are"

Her feeble explanation did little to calm the fuming Texan, his wife giving a tired look at Ms. Pauling.

"Where are we going this time?"

+++

Both knew there was no arguing with the old withered hag; Dell's family was too closely tied with whatever she had been cooking up for the last few lifetimes, and (Y/n) had more experience working as RED's nurse than anyone else.

Begrudgingly they both packed their things and arrived at base, both pretending to be no more than old friends.

It wasn't easy. Dell was a man of affection, and nothing hurt him more than hearing his sweetheart refer to him as the "Engineer".

His wife fared the same, it took some time getting used to hearing the name "Nurse" replacing what used to be pet names.

Goodnight kisses and simple gestures were sorely missed, and the two soon found that lovesickness could take place even within a few centimeters apart.