Chapter 2

Savannah's POV:

             This weathered old driveway was worse than the old road that had not been properly maintained since the oil era. Mom had been swerving to avoid gaping holes in the road, but now she had to drive into the holes because of how narrow the path was.

The narrow road appeared to be incapable of picking a direction as well. My 360-degree vision could only see as far ahead as the next sharp turn because of the dense and foreboding tree line which loomed up on either side of us.

I closed my worthless eyes and sighed. Mom glanced my way while biting her lip gently. She knew that I could see her regardless, my eyes were not only closed but facing another direction as well.

"Will we ever escape?" I asked no one in particular. My family couldn't answer that question if they wanted to. Budgie stirred from at my feet before looking up at me. The young dog could sense my inner turmoil through our strong bond between one another.

Mom glanced in the mirror at her month-old infant who was happily chewing on her hand. Clark and Bear sat on either end of her to ensure her safety always.

"One can only hope," Mom spoke with a cracking voice as she closed her eyes. Memories of what happened appeared in my mind. It had been hardest telling mom what had happened to dad. The poor woman had just given birth when I was forced to tell her what happened to her husband.

"I'm sorry mom," I told her gently as I watched a tear slip from her eye. For a moment, the tear almost seemed to glisten red as it fell onto her lap.

"It's not your fault," she sniffled. Baby Lily looked up at the sound of her mother's broken voice. The curious grey eyes of the tiny baby regarded our mother with interest.

My brothers appeared to be holding in their own emotions as they watched mom cry, but I could not bring myself to feel the same emotion. Everything seemed off as I tried to feel the same way my family did.

A fake tear fell from my eye only to solidify into a diamond as it touched the window sill that I was leaning on. I picked up the diamond it didn't shine as much as a real tear, but it was nice anyway.

"We're here," mom spoke without any emotion. Her eyes were set towards the farmyard that we were pulling into. I covered my powers and felt my hair go limp. My mother looked into my eyes and nodded indicating that they had also stopped glowing.

Mom was first to step out of the car. Clark quickly leapt out of the car so that mom could grab the baby. Clark's glowing eyes were only active when he used multiple powers so he went to open the trunk. I closed my eyes and opened the door to let Budgie and myself out.

The sun was brighter then it had been through the tinted glass windows. An elderly man hobbled towards us with unfiltered excitement to be leaving the property. The ranch was a mess!

The chaos from the great oil crisis and world war three had led to many properties falling into disarray. This property certainly had.

The barn had half caved in on itself. Never had I seen a yard with so many scraps of metal and wood lying. I would not have been surprised if there were plastic replicas hidden around this place. The house had mildew and vines growing up along the sides, and it tilted slightly towards the right.

"I call the shed!" Bear declared as the three of us older siblings stood staring at the mess in front of us. He took his bag full of belongings and ran towards the shed with a lopsided door.

Mom looked rather flustered as the elderly man who was selling us the ranch counted the money mom had me create out of thin air. The man had already counted it five times as though he feared we would have stolen some from his hands.

"I can't actually count, I just said I wanted that number because that's the highest number I knew!" The man laughed before climbing into the moving truck and proceeding to drive down the driveway of death.

Mom shook her head and clenched her hands into fists as she watched the man drive away. Having grown up in one of the big cities mom had been through school.

Mom's proudest childhood memory was always the time when she and her friends started a book club to let others borrow their rarest books. Her love of reading had led her towards my father who had a vast library of books from before the oil era. Today the only modern books anyone could find were personally written, or government manuscripts.

"Well, we might as well start tidying this place up a little bit." Mom stated while gently placing her infant on a dirty blanket surrounded by pillows. Clark disappeared as she mentioned cleaning.

"All the work comes down to me." I fumed as I started lifting scraps from the yard into the air using telekinesis. Many of the items scattered throughout the yard could still be useful, so I used my telekinesis to manipulate the cells of the objects so that they were fresh and new.

I quickly created metal and wood piles for all the scraps lying around the yard. When the two piles were finished and the yard was clear and child-friendly I headed towards the shed.

The shed was certainly the nicest part of the property. Bear was using the metal shelves on either side of the shed to his advantage. His clothes were neatly folded on one shelf and his sleeping bag was placed on the opposite shelf. He was currently fashioning himself a lock so that nobody could break in while he slept.

I assisted Bear in repairing his shed before moving on to the house. My hair was falling out of the French braid it was in. The glowing and floating nature of my hair made it difficult to keep in place when I used this much of my powers within a short period of time.

~=•=~

A/N:

             I've split the chapters so now we don't have multiple character switches within a chapter.

             Not only should it limit confusion, but it should provide more variety in chapter length.

Dee☺️