Chapter 22

Karma's Pov

I stood in the shadow of the doorway as I watched panic descend upon those on the ship as the lights flickered off, curtesy of Itona. At the same time as he shut off the lights he also would have blocked all the communication. My sharp eyes took in the panic of those that were innocent and the readiness of the not so innocent as they reached for their hidden weapons and put a hand to their ear to listen for orders that would not come. The ship rocked violently again as another explosion ripped through the engine room. We could have shut off the engines, made it quiet but we wanted the panic, wanted the mercenaries and assassins not knowing who was attacking.

The approaching storm thundered and through the next flash of lighting I saw two men collapse, blood exploding out of their heads from the force of the snipers' bullets. Part of me recognised they were pretty high ranking and on our list of people that absolutely could not make it out of here alive. I knew I should also go straight for targets on that list but all I could see was Takaoka's arm around Nagisa's waist. All I could hear was the men saying what they wanted to do to MY Nagisa. Part of me was aware of Nakamura and Kayano slipping through the crowd, their knives flashing out and taking down their targets, silent and deadly. No one was looking for two women. Eventually someone would recognise that they weren't what they seemed to be, despite the sobbing and fear on their faces they were not making their way to the life jackets and rafts. Just as I thought that a woman slipped in a puddle of blood and saw Nakamura pulling her blade out of a man's chest. That was when the screaming began.

The screams spurred me into action but not towards the targets I was charged with. No. I went for the man who had bid on Nagisa first. When the clouds opened up I moved with the flash of lighting and raised my gun as I headed onto the deck. With deadly accuracy, my gun seemed to move on its own as I ran into the fray. I knew I should be going for my targets but when Nagisa was concerned I lost all reason.

They had to die. The men who coveted him, the men who wanted to do disgusting things to him. I had seen it in their eyes, seen them lick their lips as they stared at him. My blood lust rolled off me in waves and if sensing that a death god was in their midst I saw their eyes widen in fear but I was merciless, efficient.

One bullet to the head.

One after another they fell. When I had expended my ammo I simply dropped the gun and pulled out my knives. A large man came charging with the next flash of lightning and I caught his large blade in the cross hairs of mine before pushing him away, not before he swung with his fist. I ducked but he managed to grab my wig and pulled it off. He frowned, backing up a little as he gripped the wig and stared at my crimson hair, illuminated by the next flash of lighting. I didn't know why I did it, secrecy was everything but giving him a predatory grin I reached up and removed my contacts, showing my golden eyes. The man's own eyes widened in fear as his face paled.

"It's Karma!"

His voice rang over the panicked screams and I surge forward, slitting his throat in one easy move and feeling it spray on my face. The iron smell invaded my senses as I sunk deeper and deeper into my killing place. My grin grew as I signalled out the next man, this one had said how he would rape Nagisa and dump his body over board. He did not die easy. I gutted him and tossed him overboard, letting the water claim him.

I moved on, seeking those faces I had burnt to my memory, my smile wide. I knew I would be a sight to behold. My crimson hair would match the blood I knew soaked almost every inch of me. My teeth shining in the darkness as I stalked my prey. Searching, always searching for that one man.

Searching for Takaoka.

Twice now he had touched what was mine. Twice. He would not leave this boat alive.