Chapter 4: "What is your center?"

"So . . ." Jack drawled in a cold, purposefully bored manner. He tossed his stick up very slightly, and with the movement, drifted upwards. "You guys, too, huh?"

The other three stared, wide-eyed at the winter spirit lazily hovering a foot above the ground.

Jack frowned. Why did they appear so shell-shocked? Oh . . . "You guys are still mortal, then?"

"You say that like you aren't . . ." Hiccup whispered, still gaping.

"Well, I'm not. Didn't the flying and the frost kind of make it obvious?"

"Are most people not like this?" Rapunzel questioned, eyes wide and curious.

"Oh, Manny." Jack exaggeratedly rubbed at his eyes with closed fists. "Well, clearly, none of us here are meant to be Guardians. Point proven. There's all the proof they need. What were they thinking?"

Rapunzel stepped backwards and her gaze fell down in embarrassment. Merida clenched her fists. If there was one thing she hated, it was people who acted like they knew other people—what they were capable of.

"Oi, Frost Freak," she called out. "Of course we don't know you! I'm pretty sure I'd remember some sort of a weird winter spirit like you if I'd ever even heard of you."

Jack's eyes flared open and angry from their previously easygoing state.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Carrot top, did I hurt your feelings?" He smirked. "Need me to get your mom?"

Merida's eyes narrowed. "What did you call me?"

"Carrot top."

She rubbed her knuckles menacingly. "Wanna repeat that?"

Jack stepped forward until they were practically nose-to-nose and smirked. "Ca-rrot-to—"

Hiccup stepped forward. "Alright, hey guys, let's not fight—"

Merida pushed Jack away and rounded on Hiccup. "He started it—"

"Oh, now we're playing the blame game, real mature, carrot top—"

"Oi, you frosty son of a—!" Merida's eyes blazed. Hiccup put a placating hand on her shoulder, looking somewhat terrified. She rounded back on him.

"Get off," she growled. "Who are you, anyways?"

Hiccup sagged the slightest bit. "I'm . . . Hiccup."

"Hiccup? Why're you here?"

His eyebrows furrowed. "I could ask you the same question."

"Well, you didn't, and I did. What could you do?"

He crossed his arms. This was irritating. "I'm the first and only son of Stoick the Vast, chief of Berk."

"No way are you the son of that giant animal."

"Tell that to anyone in my village," Hiccup bluffed.

Merida squinted. "They'd agree. No offense, lad, but you look a wee bit too scrawny and you talk a bit too prissy to be the slightest bit Berkian."

Hiccup glared—he knew he wasn't very scary, but he glared all the same and crossed his arms.

"Well, then, who are you?"

Merida crossed her arms right back. "I'm the firstborn child of King Fergus of Scotland."

Hiccup was about to make a snarky comment about how she was too much of a brutish hooligan to be a princess, but Jack interrupted with a sigh.