Chapter 9: Your Turn

Milo

The first day I met Leo was when I tried out for the football team the first day of high school. He was already so much taller than me that I just assumed that he was a senior. He chucked the ball as hard as he could to me that I toppled over. He ran over to me and pulled me up with one arm. "Sorry man, I wasn't paying attention."

"If you throw that hard when you aren't paying attention, I don't want to know how it is when you are actually paying attention." I started to dust off the dirt from myself. "Hey man, I'm Milo."

"Call me Leo."

"So, are you the captain or something?"

"Captain? No, I'm a sophomore. I'm trying to get on the team like you." This monstrous boy was just a year older than me. He should get signed to play professionally really soon. "So, what caught your attention so much that you knocked me over?"

"I was looking at the cheerleaders." Typical jock. It made me laugh before he shot me a stern glance. "I'm not looking at all of them, you idiot. There's this girl that looks like she fell from the heavens."

"Oh, that's Thalia. She's the one at the top of the pyramid."

"No, not the girl at the top. The girl to the side calling out commands with the pink hair." Well good thing he isn't talking about Thalia, because then we would have a problem. "Oh her! That's January."

"Sounds like the name of an angel. How do you know her?"

"She's best friends with Thalia. I'm pretty close to them. She's actually a sophomore too." He puts his arm around my shoulder. "Well Milo, seems like we have to be friends now. I'm going to need to be introduced to your friend January ASAP." He chuckles a little and January catches my eye and waves to me excitedly. "Yes, I need to know her straight away." I just thought it was going to be like a normal crush, but little did I know that Leo was already madly in love with the girl.

Right after that memory all I see is black. I can hear voices, but my eyes won't open yet. The voices seem familiar, and very loud too. "He doesn't have a unibrow!"

"I didn't say he had a unibrow, I said he needs to get his eyebrows done sooner rather than later."

"Well why don't you just do it while he's passed out, so he won't complain."

"Does anybody have any tweezers?"

"I do!"

"Zoey, move over. I need some light."

"Shut up Isabel. Thalia, turn your phone's flashlight on and help us out."

"I would if Juliana moved over a little bit."

"It's not my fault that Lilly's big head is in my way." I then feel a pluck between my eyes and eyes shoot open. I'm trying to adjust to the light and all I can hear are all the girls scream. Then I feel them all jump into my arms. I let out a small yelp from the unusual pain that I'm feeling. "You guys are hurting him!" Lilly yells out to the others. They all back away as I try to contain my wince. "Okay, we can all take turns then. Me first!" Zoey screams it before jumping back into my arms.

After they all take their turns I see Thalia in the corner of the room with tears dripping down her face. It instantly hurts me to see her in such pain that I open my arms out wide for her to come into them. "I don't think you got your turn yet." She slowly walks into my arms and lets out the sobs that she had inside her tiny body. I can hear Zoey, Isabel, and Lilly giggle a little while Juliana shoves them out of the room after saying "Let's give them a couple of minutes."

Thalia stops the sobs but stays in my arms. "You can't do that to me. You know that I can't go a day without talking to you. I didn't hear your voice for a whole two days. Then I remember what happened. I remember seeing her talking to Lucas, me running into the middle of the street, and Leo following me. "Wait! Where's Leo?" I start to panic. "He's fine." The two simple words calm me down completely. "Since your idiot self decided to run into the middle of the road with cars zooming back and forth, he ran behind you to get you out. A driver ended up hitting you both. Your head hit the ground and you passed out, but since Leo is such a big guy he kind of just got the wind knocked out of him. The car ran over his foot so he broke that, but he'll be fine. You on the other hand, have a couple of problems. You have to wear a brace on your back for a little bit, and you have to keep getting checkups to make sure that your head is all good. But what I want to know, is why the heck you ran in the middle of the road in the first place." She says it while she sits up and faces me. She looks angry at me. "I can't remember actually." I lied, I ran out because you were talking to Lucas and I felt overwhelmed. I would rather run away from my problems then actually confront you.

I try to slyly bring it into the conversation. "Hey, I actually remember something from that night though. I saw you talking to Lucas." She looks at me and shakes her head in agreement. "Before you go and think the worst from me, we are not getting back together. Someone told him that I was in the club and he came up to me saying we needed to talk. He told me all about his wife and how conflicted he felt about the whole situation and how he still loves me. I told him that no matter what, we just couldn't be together anymore. I told him that it was over and that we would never get back together. I hugged him as a final goodbye." She was telling him that it was over, and my stupid ass thought that she still loved him. Enough to run out of a club and get hit by a car. I can't believe how overdramatic I could be. I have to apologize to Leo the second that I see him too. I'm such an idiot.

-----

A week went by and I was released from the hospital. Dash was one heck of a nurse, I have to give him the most credit for making me feel so comfortable. When I got back to my apartment, I saw that everyone was already in my apartment. Leo was laying on one of the couches with his foot propped up on a pillow with January putting jewels on the caste, and Janell was sitting on one of the chairs staring at her phone. Thalia was helping me into the room when I saw them. "Janell, I see that you haven't moved out yet."

"Honey, I'm not going anywhere. Seems like you need me more than ever now." I can't help but laugh because she always has an excuse to stay. January then stands up startling Leo, who was half asleep. "Now that everyone is here, I have an announcement."

"January, do you really think that you should be making announcements while these two are hopped up on pain meds?" Thalia asks as she hits Leo on the top of the head to make sure he's up. "Yes, because if I don't do it now then I will regret it later."

"Okay then, take the stage." January paces back and forth in front of all of us before letting anything out. "Leo are you up?" He doesn't answer her. "Leo, wake up!" He continues to sleep. "Leopold Montgomery Junior!" He jolts awake and looks at her, crossing his arms, seeming angry. "January, you know I don't like it when you guys say my full name."

"Shut up you goof." She takes a deep breath and stares at the ceiling. "I want to do this, but you guys can't make fun of me." We all look at each other, starting to get confused. January looks right at Leo now. "Leo, when you got hit by the car I got really scared. Seeing you in pain, somehow hurt me too. Then I saw you screaming about your foot and I tried my best to help you. You continued to gesture to Milo, and told me to take care of him first. You just kept asking him if he was okay and when he started to not answer you you practically crawled over to him. That's when Dash came out and started to help Milo and call an ambulance. All the while, I just kept admiring how much you cared for other people. You always care for other people, you ask me if I'm hungry before you even eat breakfast. You will walk us out of a movie theater fifteen minutes into a movie if I say I don't like it. What I'm saying is... I know I'm an idiot for not noticing it earlier, but.... But at least I know it now. Leo? Will you do me the honor of being my boyfriend?" She lets out a smile and the girls start to tear up. Leo looks at her with a smile from ear to ear. "Are you kidding Jan? I would be an idiot to deny! If these meds didn't make me really dizzy when I get up, then I would scoop you up right now! You know what? Forget the meds!" He started to get up, but before he could, January ran into his arms and they started to kiss each other. Thalia was admiring them and clapping when I caught Janell's eye. She looked at me and mouthed the words "and that's how you do it."