That Kind -

Chapter 10

Adagio takes my hand and leads me through the kitchen out to the back yard. “I've made us a picnic.”

I smile, squeezing his hand. “Thank you. I've never been on a picnic.”

“Somehow I knew you would say that. Woman, you need to get out more.” I punch his arm softly and he laughs.

Guiding me to a blanket spread out on the grass, Adagio draws me to the middle and I sit, stretching my legs out in front of me. The afternoon sun is bright and I relish its warmth on my face.

“I have prepared us a fine fare of chicken salad croissants, homemade sweet potato chips, fresh fruit salad, and lemon crème brulee.”

“Mmmm, sounds yummy. My mouth is watering already.”

“Mine is as well, only not for food.”

“I can help you with that,” I say, reaching for him.

We are quickly lying on the blanket wrapped in each other's arms, lunch forgotten for the moment as passion ignites between us. There can't possibly be anyone more gifted with a kiss than Adagio. His lips travel over my brows, my cheeks, my ears, my neck. His mouth is hot against my skin, and when it fully meets mine again, my hand are soon buried in the softness of his wavy hair.

“What do you see when you look at me?” I whisper against his lips.

Drawing back a little, he says, “I see God's perfect gift to me.” He touches my face. “I see beautiful caramel skin, lovely brown eyes, luscious, kissable lips parting in an amazing smile that is just for me. I see the fire in your eyes each time I touch you, and your longing each time I kiss you. Everything I see in you, I feel inside my own heart.” He rolls me over, holding me against him. “What do you see when you look at me?”

I allow my hands to travel over his handsome features, my fingers lingering against his full lips. “I see love. I see your love for me. I see eyes that I can imagine are looking through me, taking in my every exposed thought, each one of them centered around my love for you. I can picture the desire in your expression when you hold me, touch me, kiss me. And it only serves to feed mine.”

I kiss him again and all conversation ceases. We spend most of the day in this spot, talking, laughing, loving. We plan for our marriage and makes decisions about where we will live. There is no question of our living in Italy in his family home and I am excited about the move.

Night falls and loneliness sets in again when I think about saying goodnight him. Then I remind myself that living in his home is better than staying alone at my apartment until we leave in a couple of weeks. I am very grateful to be waking up in the same house. The only thing better than that will be waking up in his arms when we are married. I long for that more than I can say.

We spend the next couple of weeks boxing up my things and putting away what I don't plan to take. We clean out his fridge and mine, grateful that Mother isn't too proud to take the new food we don't want to throw away. She tells me how much she will miss me, and for the first time in my life, I can say the same and mean it.

* * *

On their final evening in the states, Adagio and Evangeline order dinner in and enjoy the coziness of the house. Adagio will indeed miss the place and the memories he and Evangeline have shared there. His grandmother had been right; his life truly started there. He is sure they will come back every now and then, especially since Evangeline's mother will still be here.

Adagio spoons some fried rice onto their plates and adds some shrimp as he talks more about their move.

“Other than my parents, we will be the only ones living in the family villa. After the wedding, they plan to take an extended vacation, visiting the triplets, Marcella, Geneva and Jessica, and their families in Rome, and my sister, Angela, and her family in Greece. So for six months or so, we will have the house completely to ourselves.”