Prologue

Nolan

"I don't want to do this anymore."

The moment the words are out of my mouth, I feel a numbing pain on my face as I go tumbling down to the ground. He slapped me. Again.

I feel the metallic taste of blood in my mouth and I flinch in pain. He hit me again, this time with his feet striking solid against my abdomen. I grunt in pain.

He grabs the collar of my shirt and pull me to my feet. My head hurts like hell and my vision is totally blurred. My head's spinning, no he's spinning. I think I'm going out but I couldn't wish for anything else.

"I own you boy, and you don't get to decide when this ends. Do you hear me?"

*********†*******
Gianna.

My eyes flutter open and I think whatever woke me up did so in my unconscious not reality. But no, the scram comes in again. Shit!

I push away my covers and run like crazy out of my room, up the stairs, then across the hall to my adopted brother's room. I push open his door and stop. Oh God, it's happening again.

Nolan is gripping the sheets so tight, his knuckles are white, and he's shaking and sweating and I think I see tears. Another grunt escapes his nightmare and I run over to him.

"Nolan, Nolan", I sit astride him and shake him, "Nolan, please wake up. Please."

His eyes springs open and he looks lost. His green eyes fixed on my brown ones without a hint of recognition.

"Nolan", I call out again and this time he blinks.

He's still breathing hard and his chest is rising and falling in rapid succession.

I place my right hand over his frantic heart and whisper, "hey, it's alright. It was only a nightmare."

He nods slightly and sits up suddenly. He clamps his arms around me in a crushing hug. I sigh and hug him back.

"Forget about him Nolan, he's gone and you'll never have to be that again."

The door creaks open and I open my eyes to see our mom, Michaela, with a worried expression on his face. I smile at her and she nods then leave, closing the door behind her.

Nolan still clings to me way after mom left but he's calm now. Slowly, he unwinds his arms and lean back.

"I'm sorry", he whispers, barely audible.

"I'm your sister, you don't have to be."

My mom adopted him almost a year ago, though he'd spent seven months in the hospital mom works at for treatment. All mom had told me about meeting Nolan was she had found him bleeding to death on a completely deserted road, and being the passionate surgeon she is, she had helped him and found out he had no family so had decided to have him with us.

Nolan is better now, a bit, thanks to someone. I smile inwardly at the thought. At first, after he'd been discharged from the hospital, he'd had series of issues. Some concerning food, he ate nothing with the exception of fruits and vegetables and milk. Then with people touching his hair and that had included me and my mom, though he had grown a whole lot comfortable around me.

Nolan had told mom and me about his very terrible past, which still sent shivers down my spine, but fortunately mom had taken matters into her own hand and the very evil man had been arrested and jailed. His nightmares never went away though.

Mom had enrolled him to my school and the previous week had been his first. Things were pretty difficult the first day because he hasn't yet been accustomed to people but he'd adjusted and was less jittery and actually made two friends, Brian and Sonia, who are my close friends.

"Come on", I climb over and lay on the bed beside him, "let's talk about something", I pat the bed and he lies down.

Every time he had his nightmares, I did my best to distract him so he could go back to sleep and right now, I had the perfect idea in mind. His crush.

I curl my arm around him and ask, "so, do you like Brian?"

***†***********†*****†
Thanks for reading. Vote. Comment. Have fun.