"Flowers" ~Rhys X Reader~ (Modern AU)

This story was requested by Lucky-in-Red
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Y/N) was really into flowers. Our house was filled with different vases. She said each flower and flower variant had a different meaning. It was cute how interested she was in flowers.

I had gotten off work early and wanted to surprise her at her flower shop. I drove through town, continuously glancing at the flowers I was bringing to make sure they were still in place. It was a bouquet with a mix of red and orange roses. She told me that red roses symbolize love and orange symbolized passion and desire.

I pulled into the parking lot and got out of the car, holding the bouquet behind my back. She was gonna love these.

She was talking with a customer when I walked in, so I stayed close to the door until she saw me. When her (E/C) eyes met mine, she smiled brightly and motioned for me to come over to her. I walked behind the counter as she finished up with the customer.

"What are you doing here?" She asked as I kissed her cheek. "Why aren't you at work?"

I smiled down at her. "That's the best part. I got off work early today, so I decided to come here and give you..." I pulled the flowers from behind my back. "This."

She took the bouquet from me and leaned up, quickly kissing my lips. "Thank you, Rhys." She set the flowers down on the counter. "Remember when we first met?"

I rubbed the back of my neck sheepishly. "Yeah... I do..."

I was a high school senior. She was a sophomore. My best friend Vaughn had dared me to ask her to put senior prom.

I figured out which locker was hers and taped a purple rose with a note to it. It was stupid. The note said something along the lines of "Meet me at the senior prom. Look for the guy holding a single white rose."

I'd never had the heart to tell her I asked her out on a dare.

I grabbed a white calla lily and placed it in her hair. "White calls lilies. Magnificence, beauty, purity, and innocence, right?"

She nodded. "Right. After you went to work this morning, I set up a little surprise. It's been 10 years since your senior prom and our first date."

I chuckled nervously. "Yeah..."

Her phone started ringing. "Hang on, Rhys. I gotta take this." She answered the call and stepped into the back room.

The bell rang, signaling someone entered the store. I turned to see Vaughn. "What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Just came to see how my bro and his girlfriend are doing." He answered. "You give her the flowers?" I nodded. "Did she read the note yet?" He whispered.

"No, not yet. She's in the back on a call. Now get out, and flip the sign to closed so no one comes in while I'm doing this."

He gave me a salute and left, flipping the sign over as he left.

When (Y/N) walked out of the back room, she glanced at the door. "Was that Vaughn?" I gave a nod. "What did he want?"

"He just needed to talk to me about something real quick. And, I don't know if you noticed, but there's a note with the flowers." I said.

She gave me a curious look and picked the flowers back up. She grabbed the note and while her focus was on that, I got down on one knees, grabbing the small box from my pocket.

"Will you?" I asked when her attention went back to me. "Will you marry me?"