FIVE

I did not want to leave him. The medical tents flaps miserably with the wind. A resting jeep adjacent the tent acts as a storage unit for medical supplies. Nearing the jeep I drop my medical bag and shrug off Tommy's coat. Nearly tearing my jacket off, I lay it out on the cracked windshield of the jeep to dry. With only a soaked white button up to shield against the harsh wind, I quickly scramble for Tommy's coat then stepping into the medical tent with the sun setting behind me.

All the remaining medics and nurses in this tent chose to stay in this hell hole and tend to the injured. Every single individual is aware of the danger but still chose to carry out their duty. Patients come first, as the briefing stated. Some evacuees label us crazy, others grateful.

"Excuse me, ma'am authorized personnel only" A medic rushes over and attempts to guide me to the tent's entrance

"Sir, I am Katherine Bennet," A stretcher knocks into my back "of Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service"

"Where is your uniform?"

"Drying. Outside." The medic furrows his eyebrows before reluctantly stepping outside

"My apologies, please assist us with the injured" He says once back inside

"Yes, sir"

It proves difficult to tell what is more miserable, this death filled tent or my heart yearning for Tommy. The medical crew grows evidently tired but no one rests, only the injured. I assist doctors in treating the injured, working like a machine. Stretchers flow in like water and slowly very few medics leave their posts and return home with Lori being one of them. The stretchers consists of soldiers and medics themselves. A young medic lost an arm due to bombardment, a middle aged nurse shot to the brink of death.

Every so often the hanging lanterns would swing, the equipment trays would rattle, the ground would vibrate but the medical crew would not waver.

It is impossible to tell the time. I feels like it could be midnight or just in time for supper

"Attention! It is currently zero one hundred hours, a five minute break is issued" The head doctor shouts hoarsely, his stature fatigued. The medics slowly finish their duties and lower beside their assigned patients to rest or eat or pray. However, I choose to shut my eyes and think of Tommy. I hope his journey across the channel is free from danger, I hope he is no longer cold but warm and eating well and I hope to see him again after the war ceases.

The slow images of his smile loop in the eye of my mind, the callouses of his hand is yearned by mine. Realistically, I may not see him ever again. The only thing that remains of him may be this coat and memories of him.

"Bennet, time to work" a doctor pats my shoulders. Time flies with closed eyes. Nodding, I raise to stand and continue to tend my assigned patient. Another small line of stretchers enter, a soldier with a dislocated shoulder, a combat medic with a head injury, a walking nurse with missing fingers.

I rarely do any serious work, I pass bandages, inject morphine, clean up the bloody sheets, sew a deep cut. However, I have to watch soldiers die. Peacefully or painfully it was all the same; miserable. We cannot guarantee their lives but we can assist with making their end less painful. The bodies are lined up outside the medical tents with tarp to cover them. No proper burial, not yet.

The medical tent reeks of blood, of death. The groans and blood curling cries echo endlessly in the tent. However, the medical crew is silent, drained and homesick.

Zero three hundred hours

My eyes grow heavy, my hands shake. My work steadily becomes sloppy, the medical equipment dropping onto the floor becomes more frequent. A murmured apology leaves my lips after every incident with drooping eyelids. A medic gently taps my arm and excuses me from my assigned patient.

"Nurse, catch some sleep. Continue working tomorrow"

"Yes, sir" my muscles are grateful once they are at rest. Leaning against a storage trunk, I shut my eyes and catch a well needed sleep.

|||
I'm trying to achieve a sort of dark tone and gloomy feel. Hope you enjoyed! Critique
and favorites are much appreciated!