SIX

Easing out of slumber my eyes slowly open. The reality of the dreadful medical tent gradually comes back to me and occupying my mind once more. Due to the lack of a proper bed my neck and back aches from sleeping an awkward position.

"Here" the same doctor from the night before presents a plate of stacked bread and jam before me

"Thank you" I take two slices of bread, my mouth starting to water. Silently munching on the bread my tastebuds are grateful for the food. Once finished, my fingers remain sticky and tinted with strawberry jam. A tissue is used to remove the residue.

It seems as though the medical team have not stopped working, nurses are still running about with medics focused and sweating just like the night before. The dim light seeping through the tarp windows tell me dawn is about to break.

Another day of medical action awaits and some parts of me wish to return home. I may be committed but not completely insane. Rising into a stand aches my muscles to return to slumber but I ignore my body's needs and greet a fellow doctor, assigning me to work.

After excusing myself I step out of the horrid tent and attempt to wash the blood of a dead man off my fingers. The cool water unevenly escapes the bottle and onto my trembling hand. A uniformed figure dashes into the tent

"Another destroyer sunk! The soldiers are incoming" The male dashes out accompanied by a dozen nurses and medics. Tommy. Tommy could be among them. Silently, I tail behind the group as of the thought of Tommy is working the motors in my legs. The wind hits me once more like a harsh memory forcing its way into my mind. The footprints of the medics in front of me are replaced with my own sloppy footprints as we trudge through the miserable sand.

I lift my eyes from the ground and toward the wind piercing my cheeks. The figures in the distance drag their row boats in an exhausted fashion. Even with the soldiers too far to be identified I search for Tommy anyway. The closer I step towards the water, the more I look for Tommy. Among the endless stream of soldiers, searching for a familiar face, searhing for a man who is wanted by my heart.

The sight of three soldiers collapsing on the beach catches my attention, leaving the group of medics I rush over to the now asleep soldiers. The closer I get to the group, the more I can make out their features. Like a wave crashing onto shore, it dawns to me. The men before me are Tommy, Alex and Tommy's unnamed friend. It may be the absence of love while on this beach or simply the need for human touch but my own being is drawn to him. I yearn for his presence and I know he yearns for mine.

With Tommy's still body before my feet, I drop onto my knees and embrace his damp figure and clenching the wet cloth into my fist to ensure he is really there. Looking up at his sleeping face, a small smile forms on my lips. He's only been gone for a matter of hours but it dragged on for so long. Allowing the presence of Tommy to ease my mind away from the horrors.

Muscles in him arm work against my head and soon slender fingers run through my coarse hair. The voice of the almost relaxed waves gallop onto the beach and travel to me.

"I wasn't expecting you, you have a job to do" Tommy's voice vibrates through my whole body. I feel his mouth curve into a smile from his words and so do mine

"Are you complaining?" Teasing him, looking up to meet his gaze

"Of course not" He chuckles, tightening his grip around my body. Tommy gaze falls on me like the warm inviting glow of the sun. His adam's apple continuously bobs as if Tommy wants to say something but words never leave his lips. The sun falls on his face, the rays of sunlight reflecting off the tiny flecks of sand decorating his face. His light olive complexion is warmed by the sun making his freckles seem rather prominent than usual.

My eyes remain on his face in this moment, taking in every detail. Like a painting he stands before me with the sunlight perfectly bathing his face, with every grain of sand placed perfectly on his face and with his eyes looking back at me with great softness and color.

Tommy sits up slowly, raking a hand through his messy dark hair before rising to his feet and assisting me to stand with a calloused hand enveloping my own. The boys that came with Tommy are no longer on the beach, they managed to depart out of my attention. Silently he guides me back to the back of the medical tent where he plans to reside for another day showing how exhausted he is.

I step into the medical tent and attempt to avoid the atmosphere of misery. I sling my medical bag over one shoulder and take a few slices of jam-spread bread. Once outside the tent, the harsh wind hits me and takes away the lingering mood of misery. Tommy slouches against one of the tent's structures, mumbling in an inaudible fashion

"I got you some food" I speak in a low voice, lowering myself to Tommy's level

"Blimey, I've had enough of that awful jam" Tommy shakes his head. Setting the bread aside I reach into my ransack and pull out a bottle of water. Tommy's eyes light up at the sight of the bottle. Acknowledging his eagerness I hand him the bottle of water. Tommy quickly takes the cap off the bottle, making the contents shake violently. In large gulps he consumes the water until not a drop is left. He looks at the empty bottle as if yearning for more before discarding it beside him.

Slowly I shrug Tommy's coat off my shoulders and form a pillow for him to rest his head and aching body

"Rest, Tommy" I gently push his body until his head touches the makeshift pillow

"What will you do?" His eyes already closed

"Work"

"Stay" He shakes his head against the coat

"No, I promise I'll be back" I raise to my feet and reach over to the broken Jeep, retrieving my uniform from its windshield.

"I thought I lost you..." Tommy mumbles as I sink into the medical tent, almost regretting the decision to do so.

THANK YOU FOR WAITING, I finally updated!

I appreciate criticism and favorites ❤️