ONE: Passion in books

One school year has just passed and so the summer begins to return. For Digory Vensser, summer time is moments of rest after hard works of studying. He is always one of the tops in school but lives normal for that is really who he is. Summer is a season when the moon falls down while the sun rises up. Scorching as it is and it intends people to lose their temper easily. For most people, summer is a season to go in a vacation for a swimming within 1 day or more or to travel to other countries; a moment wherein all or most of the family members bonds together again before the next school year comes. And now, the story of Digory’s faith begins.

          “No mail, no visitors, nothing...” Digory wonders “As it is always when summer time comes or even when every academic day ends, I am all alone but why should I be sad? I have an angel on my side, my parents both live and God is with me so nothing to be lonely about.” Actually, Digory is a lonely person. He does not have any siblings but has many friends although he chooses to be alone most of the times because only few people understands him or what he is.

          Summer days for this young teenager are just simple days although he sometimes decides to leave the house only to look down for books or mini figures as his collections. In fact, when he leaves, he is most of the time alone looking for his pleasured collections while sometimes, his friends asks him to have some bonding time wherein they watch movies or just have snacks then get a little discussion about personal lives.

          Saturday afternoon (first Saturday after the school ended (that was a Sunday so six days after) he left home to find for new books. He also loves to travel or hops from one bookstore to another. This was the very first time he “book hops” and the reason why he looks for books because he is so amazed in such movies that are based on magnificent books. At the first bookstore he enter, he went to the Children’s book section to find book titles but after two minutes, he did not find the book so he tried to look to the Classic section and Teenagers’ titles but still he failed to find the book that he is looking for. He tries to look in the whole bookstore with his eyes until he found a Bargain Section so with no doubt, he went there.

          Titles of good books are there but more on pocketbooks and colouring books. You may lose hope if you are finding a certain title but only see nothing but for Digory, this sometimes is a challenge for him. I have said earlier that he did this book search for the first time but the fact is that he dug into books deeper when he bought his very first book. Now after minutes of searching the title book in the Bargain Section, he luckily found it! He grabbed the book and read the writings on the front page,

          “The Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian, The Return to Narnia by C.S. Lewis” whispered Digory “I finally found you!” Although the book seems to be very old, it is still worth to buy because of the great deal of price and it is also a hardcover book (fortunately and lucky for Digory that the book copy he saw is the very first book edition of the book). After he bought the book, he decided to go home early so his parents were surprised that he’s already home. He proudly show the book to his parents then greeted both, after that he quickly went to his room, opened his very first book and read it.

          “Digory! Supper is ready!” his mother called and so, as he heard his mother called out, he read “’Bother!’ said Edmund. ‘I’ve left my new torch in Narnia.” And closed the book and placed it in his bed. He rushed to the dining area with a smiling face. His parents wondered why he is smiling so his father asked him, “What on earth is in your mood son?”