Part 1

CRIMINALISTICS- it is the application of scientific techniques in collecting and analysing physical evidences in a criminal case.

DR. HANS GROSS - an Australian scientist who, in 1891 first used the term "Criminalistics". The Father of Criminalistics and Forensic Publications. He also wrote a book on applying all the different science disciplines to the field to investigations.

SIR ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE - sci-fi author in  1800. Popularized scientific crime detection methods through his fictional character "Sherlocke Holmes."

MATHIEW ORFILA- Father of Toxicology. He wrote about detection of poisons and their effect to animals.

ALPHONSE BERTILLON- Father of Anthropometry. Developed a system to identify individuals through their bodily measurements. 

FRANCIS GALTON- Father of Fingerprinting. He used fingerprints to uniquely identify individuals.

LEONE LATTES - Father of Bloodstain Identification. He developed a procedure in determining bloodtypes (A, AB, B, O) of a dried stain.

CALVIN GODDARD- Father of Ballistics. Developed a technique to examine bullets using the comparison microscope to determine whether or not a particular gun fired the bullets.

ALBERT OSBORN- Father of Question Documents Examination. His work led to the acceptance of documents as scientific evidence in courts.

WALTER MCCRONE- Father of Microscopic Forensics.  He developed and applied his microscopic techniques to examine evidences in countless of courts.

EDMOND LOCARD- Father of Crime Laboratory. In 1920, he started the first crime lab in an attic of a police station . He also founded the Institute of Criminalistics in France. His most important contribution was the "Locard's Exchange Principle."

LOCARD'S EXCHANGE PRINCIPLE - (1) every contact leaves a trace. (2) every criminal can be connected to a crime by particles carried from the crime scene. (3) when a criminal comes in contact with an object or a person, a cross transfer happens.

J. EDGAR HOOVER- Father of the FBI. Director of FBI during the 1930's. His leadership spanned for 48 years and 8 presidential administration. Organized a National laboratory to offer forensic services to all law enforcement agencies in the US.

GOALS OF FORENSIC SCIENCE- to determine the cause , location and time of death.