The Middle

Kahn watched as the humans walked through the forest the next day, watching them carefully. He studied how they moved their legs and how they dressed.

Once they had disappeared again, Kahn popped out of his hiding spot, his tongue rolling out of his mouth. He smiled and jumped up onto the bark of a pine tree. He dug his claws in, making him stand up against the tree. 

After practicing the movement after a while, Kahn decided he was ready to try walking on two paws. He moved off of the pine tree, leaving claw marks on the bark, and he stood in the air for a moment. Slowly, he stepped forward on one paw.

Kahn slipped and fell onto his face. His belly scraped against the snow as he flopped down. He heard a giggle from far away. Kahn whipped around and noticed the two girls, standing behind a bush, watching him. His eyes filled with determination as he tried again. This time he stood a little longer in the air.

The older girl whispered something in the other girl's ear. The younger girl burst out laughing as the two humans exploded out of the underbrush and ran away.

Kahn sighed. He hadn't impressed them. Maybe he would never be a human, and maybe he would never have any friends.