Chapter: 9

DAY: 6
Winter Soldier

I watched in disbelief as Lark was dragged away and thrown into the back of a heavily armored truck. The doors slammed shut behind her wriggling form and an eerie silence fell as the truck peeled away.

"What do you plan on doing with us?" I asked, her as she came to circle me.

"I wouldn't worry too much about Lark, you should be more concerned about what we've got in store for you." She stopped and gave a nod. Hands released me, but the barrel of a gun pressed against the back of my head in warning. 

It wasn't seconds later when we all heard the truck come to a screeching halt at the entrance to the parking lot.

"Hawkeye, please tell me that it's only a flat." She said into her wrist, taking several restrained steps towards the truck.

"We have a situation here." a male voice came over mic, grunting with effort. The jeep's back end flew open and toppled out of the back, firing several shots into the truck. A pang in my gut had me hoping he'd missed his target.

"Hawkeye, respond." the woman asked. "Respond!"

A figure jumped from the back, quickly taking out the guardsman with the hilt of their firearm. Not moments later a second figure emerged, stumbling out with horrible balance, a shock of red hair instantly gave way to a tide of relief in my belly. Lark was alive.

"Agent Winchester, what do you think you're doing with that hostage?" She asked as both Lark and Agent Winchester hobbled over.

"Sorry, Romanoff. But I know a few people who need these two badly." Agent Winchester responded. "Besides, I think your backup is dead anyway."

I turned around, the men who had their guns pointed at me lay dead on the ground. I turned back and Romanoff looked straight up at me, her own gun pointed to my chest.

Lark stopped just feet from where we stood and pointed her gun at Romanoff. Agent Winchester stood behind her carefully, a protective shadow of sorts.

"Sorry, but I have other orders." Agent Winchester said, he pointed his gun at her and fired. Static charges buzzed out from the barrel and flickered over Romanoff's body.  I looked at Lark, though battered and beaten, she showed little restraint for whatever pain she was feeling.

"Was this planned?" I asked her. 

Lark shook her head, breathing heavily. "Ask him, he told me to shoot."

"I have orders to get you both out of here."

"From who?" I asked him. Agent Winchester eyes were locked onto Lark's shaking body. "Hey, who do you work for?"

"Fury." Winchester's attention snapped back. 

"Fury, I killed him didn't I? He should be dead."

"So to speak. Anyways, he wants to see both of you. No violence, no guns or weapons. This is your free will." Winchester answered, he took the strap of his gun and slung it over his shoulder.

I turned to Lark, noting how she swayed without a breeze to coax her, and the way she stared off silently like a veil shrouded everything.. "We should trust Winchester, I'd rather get through Fury's wrath than go through another encounter with Black Widow." Lark somewhat muttered, words a bit slurred.

"The stun will wear off soon enough, either come with me or wait until she's back up and running." Agent Winchester said. "Coming with me would be the less hostile option."

I took a minute to think it all over. To think of choices. Wasn't it Fury's men who went after me with that Captain America guy? Or was it Black Widow's men? Lines were crossing and twisting and nothing made much sense.