Prologue- Is He Safe?

Third Person

In a small town up in Alaska named Galacia, the wind howled and turned what once was a light snowfall into a full blown snowstorm. However, this was normal for Galacia. People generally stayed inside but they didn't mind working through the storm to visit their loved ones if need be.

Up in the mountains right next to the town was a small cabin that could withstand the storm without much of a fuss. Inside, there were two men.

The first stood by the window, gazing out into the storm as if he expected to find some kind of threat behind the endless waves of white. He was the older of the pair, and because of this, he felt the need to make sure he was protecting the other. He kept a shotgun close by, not in his hand, but right next to it. His hand would twitch every time he thought he saw something in the snow and want to grab the weapon, but would relax when he noticed it was just his imagination.

The old eyes shifted towards the younger of the pair. He was sitting on the couch, facing the fireplace and was patching himself up. One arm had a taken a bad hit when a werewolf got a little too close for comfort. Luckily, it was just a scratch and they had gotten away with nothing else, but it was still painful nonetheless. While the injured arm remained still, he used the other one to carefully wrap it up and held the cloth bandages in his teeth.

It took a while before the older man said anything. "Need help?"

"I'm fine." The other replied, his voice muffled from holding the cloth in his teeth. "I've done this before, I can do it again."

The older nodded along before his mind drifted off to something that had been consuming him all day. It didn't take long before he had to ask. "Have you heard from-"

The younger rolled his eyes and spat out the cloth. "It's been almost exactly one day since we last heard from him, I'm sure he's fine. He's choosing a house to rent, not hunting a horde of vampires."

The older let out a shaky sigh of relief. "Right, right..." His eyes drifted down until he finally asked again. "Are you sure because remember the-"

"DAD!" The brown haired boy finally exclaimed, whipping around to face him. "Chill! He's an adult, he can take care of himself."

The father nodded along. "I know, I know... I just worry! He's out on his own! He's going to go to college and get a job, but what if some demon comes and ruins it all for him? Son, we are days away from him! If he calls for help, we might be able to get to him in time."

The younger rolled his eyes, chuckling to himself as he did. "Then we send someone else! You have hunter friends, get one of them on the job. Heck, have one watch over him if you're really that worried, but Dad, he'll be fine. He killed his first monster when he was ten! I could barely shoot a shotgun at that age!"

The father chuckled. "I remember... Thanks Cody." He smiled and began to stare out the window again.

Cody smiled back. "Anytime, Dad." He replied before going back to patching himself off.

The father drifted off while staring out, his mind stirring with unsure thoughts and questions, until he couldn't help but scoop up his backpack and shotgun and head for the door. Cody perked up just watching him.

"I have some business to take care of." He said in a low voice. "You stay here, get some rest. I'll be back by tomorrow afternoon."

Cody could only nod as his father wrapped himself up in warm clothing before plunging into the storm.

Soon, he found himself alone.

The silence was almost unbearable, and now that his father put the idea in his head, Cody found himself concerned. What if his little bro really did get into some trouble?

He didn't even realize he clicked the contact on his phone until the phone started the call. He put it up to his ear and waited, but nobody picked up.

"Hey, its Peter! Obviously I'm not able to pick up the phone so just leave a message and I'll get back to you! Unless it's you, Cody, then it's only a fifty-fifty chance I'll get back to you. That's right, I never forgot about you stealing the last poptart! Bye." It clicked, making Cody laugh. The "You stole the last poptart!" joke had been going on since he was six and it was good to know that he still hadn't forgotten about it.

As soon as the phone beeped, he didn't hesitate to leave a message. "Hey bro, it's me. You're brother..." Cody silently cursed himself for the terrible start but decided he might as well go on. "I'm just calling to-uh- check in on you. You're on your own for the first time, and not just hunting stuff. You're going to college! I always knew you were the smart one." He chuckled to himself, then paused. "Listen, basically, Dad is worrying and you should call soon or he's going to storm down there guns-a-blazing thinking you're in trouble... You're not in trouble, right?"

Cody sighed and stopped himself. He was probably fine, he can fend for himself. "Not the point... I..." Cody hesitated as his chest burned with a single feeling. Finally, he found the courage to say it. "I mi-" The phone beeped before he could finish and he huffed, turning it off. "...Is that my phone telling me I was getting too sappy or just bad luck?" Cody snickered to himself before settling down.

"I hope he's okay..." He whispered to himself. Even now, he still felt the need to protect his younger brother.

***********************************************************

Okay, originally I was going to upload this and the first chapter at the same time because this is so short, but I finally just posted this because the first chapter might take a while and I wanted to get this out!

Here is a series called "Hunters" which is an AU. It's not based in Atlantis and rather they are in the real world and hunt monsters. A lot of characters will have a lot of different rolls, but eventually everyone will turn up.

I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this AU!

I hope you liked this short but sweet chapter. Be sure to comment what you think so far, hopefully the next chapter will be out soon so you can get a better read for the story, and farewell!

--JustAnAtlnatisWriter