Chapter 1- Brother Dearest

Third Person

"Hey! Purple!" A low groan emitted upon hearing his new nickname, but it caught his attention nonetheless. "Come on over here!" The man grinned, gesturing him over to the table he was sitting at.

"Purple" paused before shrugging and decided to join him and his friend at the table. He plopped himself down with a sigh and shot the smallest of glares at who called to him. "You do know my name's not purple, right Gavin?"

Gavin rolled his eyes playfully and gave him a small punch in the shoulder. "I know, but Peter is such a common name, I figured you'd recognize I was talking to you better if I just called you purple. You know, like-"

"My hair, yes I know." Peter responded, self consciously running his hand through it, though it was short so there wasn't much there. "It was an accident."

Gavin chuckled loudly, his bright blue eyes shining as he ruffled his own silver hair. "Let me guess, you were drunk?" His friend, who Peter knew to be named Lars, laughed along as well. Lars had green eyes and brown hair, and was a lot quieter than his friend.

Peter huffed. The truth behind it was a lot more complicated than that, but he couldn't tell them about the trickster incident or they would think he was crazy, so he decided agreeing to it would be the best idea. He held his hands up in defense. "You got me. Worst way to wake up. Ever."

Gavin just kept laughing for a while before settling down. "Well, at least it's not permanent! That would suck."

Peter sucked in a breath. The trickster incident was last year, and his hair still remained as vibrantly purple since then, no matter what happened. "Yeah, it would." He muttered bitterly.

Gavin raised an eyebrow at his behavior but decided to let it go, taking a sip of a concoction he made himself. Lars waited a while before asking anything. "So Purple, tell us about yourself. What are you planning to go into here at St. Jamie's University?"

Though he rolled his eyes slightly at the nickname spreading, he let it slide. "Not sure yet. Law maybe? Police force? Heck, maybe I'll even go into business and make my own store or something." He answered, a sly smile forming on his face as he sipped iced water. "I just got here."

Lars smiled at that, nodding along. "Lots of potential then. You got a place to stay?"

Peter nodded firmly. "A friend of mine is out of town so I'm house sitting. Gives me time to find an apartment at this late of notice."

Lars kept nodding and took a sip of his soda, which allowed Gavin to start asking some questions. "Any family?"

"A Dad and a brother." Peter found himself smiling a bit by mentioning them. "Dad was really worried about letting me out on my own but Cody- my brother- finally got him to let me off the hook. My Dad means well but he's really stubborn about these things." He shrugged. "And though he won't admit it, Cody is too. He kinda raised me growing up so he's kinda protective." Peter smiled to himself, remembering the voicemail he received a couple days ago. He got quite a lot of teasing out of Cody from that alone.

Gavin nodded understandingly, but couldn't help but ask one thing. "No mother?"

Peter hesitated but shook his head in the end. "Dead."

Lars lightly patted him on the back while Gavin gave off a guilty look for asking. "Sorry to hear that." He huffed.

Peter quickly shook his head. "You didn't know. Besides, I was just a baby when it happened so I never really got to know her. I just hear about her from bedtime stories, nothing else."

Gavin sighed in relief. "Thanks... If you don't mind me asking, what happened to her?"

He almost didn't say it, but the purple haired man decided he could at least bend the truth a little. "House fire." He answered at last. Gavin and Lars both gave him the whole "Must've sucked" comment while Peter just kept nodding. It wasn't the whole truth, but answering "Demons" didn't seem acceptable so it would have to do.