Two.

Standing in front of my parents I felt chills dance down my spine. I knew why they wanted to talk to me; it was about my selection. I didn't know why I felt so nervous, I knew it was coming. Perhaps it was because, deep down, I thought I would be able to convince my parents that I had already found someone, but I was a coward. I couldn't tell them about Liam. My parents were understanding people, they wouldn't get mad or force me to find someone else. So why was I so scared to tell them?

"Juliet, honey, it's time to announce your selection, well tomorrow night we'll announce it. I just want to ask, are you sure you're happy with this?" My mother's tone was soft and gentle. I knew this was my opening, I could easily tell her that this wasn't what I wanted and that I had already fallen in love, but I couldn't. I didn't know why.

"Yes, of course I'm sure."

My father broke out into a smile pulling me into a side hug. "This is going to be great, dear. I fell in love with your mother through the selection, and I'm sure you'll be just as lucky."

I hugged him back smiling in agreement even though I knew he was wrong. How could I be expected to find my prince when I had already found him?

-

I let out a breath of air that I was subconsciously holding whilst watching the lady finish up my hair. I had gotten my red hair from my grandmother, the late Queen America.

My grandparents had passed away not long after my twelfth birthday. They died together in a car crash out in Italy, the media described their death as an accident, but even I knew that wasn't the case. I don't know what happened but my guess was that it wasn't an accident. I'm sure that my parents know more but they never want to talk about it, especially my dad.

I shook away the thoughts before thanking the ladies who made me up ready for the news report. Tonight was the day night we announced the selection and tomorrow the registration letters would be sent out. I was excited, at least, I kept telling myself that I was excited.

I put on a smile before entering the report room waving at the crowd.

Keep smiling, Juliet, if you believe it so will they.

-

The report was over rather quickly, it all seemed like a blur anyway. There was a lot of talking, a lot of nodding and an awful lot of smiling.

"You look beautiful this evening." I spun round at the sound of his voice, a real smile cracking on my face. "But you always look beautiful."

I launched myself into his arms allowing him to wrap his arms around my waist. I began to melt into his embrace, I always felt better when I was with him.

"What are you doing here?"

"I had to see you, you know, before your selection begins."

"What do you mean?" I was confused by his tone. He was talking like this was the last time I would ever see him.

"Well, we can't exactly see each other anymore, you should be finding a husband."

"That's stupid, we can still see each other-"

"No, we can't."

I was getting quite frustrated. "And why not?"

"Because every time I see you I just want to do this." And then he kissed me. There was no hesitation, only passion. And it was over so quickly I wasn't sure if it actually happened. "This can't happen anymore. I'm sorry, princess, but I can't see you anymore."

A single tear rolled down my cheek and before I could wipe it away his fingers were on my cheek. "Come on, dry those tears, I'm not worth it."

I shook my head in disagreement trying to open my mouth and tell him that he was worth it, but I couldn't. I kept opening my mouth but nothing was coming out. Liam simply smiled before turning away and disappearing down the hallway.

Drying my tears and putting on a smile, I took a deep breath and walked the opposite way, away from him.