Chapter 1 (R)

Rowan's point of view

I had to move out after my past landlord overheard a little too much of a conversation between my boss and I. It's a good thing I used an alias with that lease, because it allowed me to disappear without being traced.

I didn't think I'd find a roommate so quickly. My friend Amelia recommended the app "roomies" to me a little while ago, and it worked very well. I have an odd fear of living alone but I hate talking to people, so it's usually hard to get someone to live with me. Everyone at the company makes fun of me. I guess it is ironic that a person who kills and threatens for a living would fear being alone, of all things.

My roommate's name is Dylan. She don't have much money, but that doesn't matter to me, I have more than I need. I've only seen her twice in the couple months we've lived together, since my job is all early hours and late nights. We've just been talking via post-it notes on the kitchen table. "I used the last of the milk", "Thanks for making me breakfast", "Did you lose something?". It's cute, honestly.

The second time I saw her, we went to the grocery store. She's not a big fan of tofu, which is pretty much all I eat, so we needed to make sure we got something for both of us.

While we were walking through the chips and snacks aisle I saw a man from the company who we all know as "Blade". Slicked back hair that was just starting to gray and a square jaw, he looks exactly like what people think of when they imagine hitmen. But maybe if you didn't know him, he could just look like a hard-ass businessman. It was weird to see him in a regular t-shirt. Blade, like my boss, scares and fascinates me. Nicknames don't come from nothing. But I tried my best not to acknowledge him. If Dylan saw, she'd have a lot of questions. Questions that I don't feel like making up a lie for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!
This is J from JandEwrite. Thanks for reading my chapter. Feel free to ask E and I questions. This story isn't anywhere near over yet, so come back to it in a bit to see what Rowan and Dylan get up to!
~ J from JandEwrite