Chapter 2 (D)

"Yes, mom." "Yes, mom I know that you see my phone bill." "I'm gonna pay it." This was one of the strings of lies I told her to keep her calm about the current living situation and lack of cash flow. I struggle to keep my phone between my ear and my shoulder as I put on my Converse in an attempt to be on time to work. I work at a really cute diner not too far away from Rowan and I's apartment

"Yes mom I'm listening, I love you too and I'm late for work." My mother is a very hard working woman. It took a lot of time and effort to swindle 3 husbands out of their inheritances. She now lives lavishly in our small town of Addison because she believes that big cities are for showy people. She prefers to wear her large string of pearls were only Eileen and Jillian from her weekly poker games can gawk at them.

I wrote a sticky note telling Rowan that I was going to work and placed it in our spot then walked out the door to be met with the smell of rich people and their animals. Many people are under the belief that just because an area is rich it doesn't smell like dog shit and desperation. I don't know what it is with rich people. They will spend thousands upon thousands of dollars at auctions to help underprivileged doggies but are too good to clean the shit from their own dog.

As I walked into the diner I was hit with the smell of grease and hemp from the "hipster" upper east siders. I say hi to the manager and a couple of the regulars, clock in and start my shift while simultaneously trying to avoid Avan. Avan is one of the line cooks who I've slept with one or two times when intoxicated. Rowan and I have an inside joke every time I bring him home. She would take a sticky note and write, "him, eww why him? He isn't even that great looking," and stick it right on my door and I have to hide it from Avan when he leaves my room.

I took up plates to avoid Avan, but of course, I can't. "You look great today Dylan," Avan says as I keep my head down in shame, the memories flooding back to my mind of our most recent tryst.

"Avan. I didn't shower this morning." I say, walking past him speedily. 

"Well, your natural scent really suits you." He says in an attempt to save the conversation. I walk away with my plates, trying to get them to the table without dropping them. Nothing is wrong with Avan, but he is a line cook. I can't introduce a line cook to my mother and say, "Hey that guy that makes $30,000 a year is the man I want to be with." She would be so angry. Then she would say something like, "My first husband $300,000 a year, you are pretty and young. You can at least find someone who makes half a million dollars a year."

My shifts usually go by pretty quickly. A couple of regulars and some new people. All in all, everything was pretty much the same as always, except for this guy who caught my attention. He was wearing a double-breasted black Christian Siriano suit. He stared too hard and waited too long after paying the bill to leave. I do remember seeing him before, but I simply couldn't remember where.

After my shirt ended I waited for Kaileigh to come pick me up. Kaileigh was in college with me and feels like it's okay to constantly flirt with Avan even though he's always in my guts. 

I talk to her because she has a car and sometimes I really don't want to walk home. She's majoring in graphic design at our college. We first met in an intro to financial education class where we were doing a group project with a gorgeous specimen. We spent the entire project getting him to pick between us. He picked her because she, like him, is gorgeous. Since then we've always been pretty close. However, I've always been wary of her around males I could even be slightly interested in, because she could always swoop in and take them if she pleased.

When Kaileigh walked in she did a beeline for the Kitchen and went straight to Avan who seemed quite busy with the eggs he was scrambling. After getting minimal attention from Avan, she came to me asking if I was ready to go. I gave a slight nod and we walked out the door. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Everyone,

This is E from JandEwrite I feel like we all have that one friend like Kaileigh, I most definitely do. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my chapter, as always feel free to ask questions or share ideas with J and me. 

Like, Comment, Share and Vote

tout l'amour,

E from JandEwrite :)