let me stand next to your fire

January 2017

"Define neoliberalism."

Slumping in her chair, Joelle holds her head in her hands, pulling the roots of her hair slightly.

"I can't," she moans.

"Just a few more, Jo," Otto tells her. "Let's do it. Neoliberalism."

She sits up, glancing at Mia who's sitting next to Otto, earbuds in, furiously typing on her laptop. She's in her own little world and of absolutely no help to Jo.

"Fine," she concedes, sitting up. They're on the first floor of the main library on campus, the only floor where talking is permitted, studying for an upcoming International Systems test. Mia types away at a paper for one of her classes, lost in her own world. Joelle envies her focus.

"I remember that neoliberalism is a response to neorealism," she shrugs, brain failing after spending hours on this dry subject. She thinks hard, trying to remember the textbook definition of neoliberalism and then reciting it exactly. "Neoliberalism argues that even in an anarchic system of autonomous, rational states, cooperation can emerge through the building of norms, regimes, and institutions."

"Great," Otto says dryly. "Now tell me in your own words."

"I just told you the definition," she argues. "Why do I need to explain it some other way?"

"Because memorization doesn't help long term memory. You'll forget what it means by the time this test is over and then you'll be screwed for midterms."

Joelle chews on the inside of her cheek, working the phrasing in her head and actually making herself register the meaning of the definition. Luckily, this one was pretty straight forward.

"It means that despite having separate countries or territories or whatever, with organization they can all work together."

Otto smiles at her, happy with her compliance. "Nice work, Katler," he praises. "Let's call it a night. I'm beat." Joelle nods in agreement, closing her binder and textbook and shoving them into her backpack. Otto taps Mia's shoulder to get her attention. "We're heading out. Are you ready to leave yet or are you still working?"

"Get me out of here," Mia replies. Closing her laptop and slipping it into its sleeve, she stands up. "I need a coffee. Let's go to Dunks."

Mia decided she wasn't quite finished with her paper, so she bid Joelle goodbye and trekked across campus to the Law Library while Jo started her walk home. Luckily, the girls' apartment wasn't too far from campus. Blueberry coffee in hand, Jo bundled her scarf closer to her, trying to keep her nose covered and out of the biting wind.

She cut through campus on her way back, bypassing the student union and walking in between a few residence halls. She was making her way past one of the freshman towers when flashing lights caught her eye.

A fire engine sat outside the back entrance of the building, lights flashing. Its siren wasn't on, but Joelle did notice the incessant ringing of the fire alarms that poured out of each room, an awful sound that she did not miss from her time living on campus. It was just one long, high pitched tone that she swore damaged her eardrums and was loud enough that no one wanted to linger inside of the building any longer than necessary.

Eyeing the fire truck, she begins to head toward it curiously. There were so many fire houses and different engines in Boston, there was absolutely no way that-

"Jo?"

Turning around, she's greeted by a sight that nearly takes her breath away. Harry is standing there, in uniform. Black pants cover his legs and a matching jacket expands across his broad shoulders, both lined with bright, reflective stripes. He stands in heavy boots, curls hidden beneath a black helmet. He looks fantastic. Joelle, shivering in the frigid temperatures just a few seconds ago, now feels hot all over.