17. Hidden Little Secret

Deva felt something holding her down, and when she opened her eyes she was still in Darius' arms. He did not leave during the night like she thought he would. She gently lifted his arm from around her waist and quietly got out of bed. He didn't wake or stir. She needed some air and space away from things, from him. She tip toed to the door grabbing a sweater to cover the dress she was still wearing from the party and silently walked out without him noticing. She didn't have time to change.

Walking barefoot through the halls Deva felt like she could finally relax. The events from the night before were still fresh in her head, and it was only making her headache worse. She found herself in front of the fountain in the gardens and took in the view of the magnificent sunrise. It was still a bit early telling by the sky.

She sat of the bench swing and hugged her knees to her chest. She tried blocking all thoughts from her head because they were leading her nowhere. She didn't know how long she was out there for, but soon the sun was high in the sky, and the gardeners were out and about. She still didn't make a move to get up.

"Oh my lady, I've been looking everywhere for you." She heard a frantic Amy say a short ways away. "The Queen requests the presence of all the ladies."

"Alright," Deva hesitantly stood, but Amy handed her heels before getting the chance to do so.

"The Queen wants every girl to wear heels. You are to have a dance lesson today."

"Thank you Amy. I really appreciate it."

She sweetly smiled. "It's been my pleasure my lady."

They began heading towards the castle's back entrance when Amy opened her mouth again. "Prince Darius was in your room last time I checked."

Deva wasn't sure how to respond. "Then perhaps you can get him out before I return."

"Yes of course my lady." There was an eerie sound in her voice that made Deva turn to her, but Amy was already walking away towards Deva's room.

She brushed it off. Her mind was in so many places that nothing seemed right anymore. Deva nodded to Jeffery politely. He opened the doors to the ball room where Deva thought was the only decent place to have dance lessons, and she was right. Inside she saw the Queen and other girls crowded around.

The Queen smiled as Deva walked up. "I hope you are doing well my dear."

Deva cracked a pathetic smile. "I'm fine."

"Good. Now that everyone is here, I would like to begin. Last night was one of the most interesting nights by far. All you ladies showed great promise in the challenge I presented you with. In a few days, the kingdom will hold a grand ball but not just any ball, a masquerade. You ladies will be at the height of entertainment. That is why you are here today. You will be learning to dance the dance of the old days, a traditional group dance that was often danced by the royals of the court."

Some of the girls' faces lit up with excitement. "And to help us out today are a few of the party guests from last night."

Coming in from the left side of the room were five handsome vampire men that Deva had seen the night before. Max and Ryan were among them. Max glistened when he spotted her.

"Now pick your partners please." The Queen said in a rushed tone. The men spread out and Max ended up in front of Deva.

"Will you be my partner?" He asked in a childlike tone.

"Sure if you promise not to bite." She took the hand he was offering her.

He grinned. "You have to promise the same." He led her to the middle of the dance floor and lined her up with the rest of the girls. "Nice dress. It looks even better on you the second time around."