31

I stood by the sound system with my red cup in hand, I couldn't refuse the beer when it was handed to me. It would arise suspicion, I wasn't ready to tell anyone about the succubus growing in my abdomen. I hadn't told joe, I haven't spoken to Zach since I left the hospital so I don't know if he's told him the happy news. What married man wouldn't be thrilled by the news that he's knocked up his mistress. How will he explain that to the wife.

Louise and Kelly pass me shots constantly, I'm not sure how I could possibly get out of drinking these. There's only so many i can throw in the sink without them noticing. I don't want to be here, I want to be at home with my feet up watching riverdale. I've only known a week that I'm pregnant and my life has already changed so much. My college life had revolved around drinking and partying but here I am not being able to enjoy either. I am at a party but I'm not enjoying it, it's not the same when your sober. Maybe I have too much on my mind, but I just can't get my head into it.

I hear some commotion coming from the living room, I hope there's not a fight.

"Did someone just say Hugh Hefner is here " louise questions.

I frown at her, she is more drunk that she looks.

"I very much doubt it" I laugh.

"They are shouting his name" Kelly replied.

I walk to the door and put my head around it to see what's happing, their right people are greeting someone as he walks past. There calling him hugh Hefner, I stand on my toes and look into the crowd. That's when I see him.

before I can even think of running he is in front of me. His face is covered with grazes and bruises. I don't have to ask who gave them to him, Zach had been so angry that I knew it was his handiwork. I wonder how joe explained it to his fiancé.

Joe looks at the cup in my hand and looks at me with concern. He takes it from my hand and places in on the kitchen side before dragging me out of the kitchen. He pulls me out of the back doors and into the quiet garden.

Once we're alone I yank my arm away from him, I'm so mad at him for showing up. Why now does he have a sudden interest.

"Tell me you didn't drink, it's not safe for the baby"

I can't help it but I laugh, him giving me pregnancy advice is too much.

"Why are you laughing, are you drunk"

I push at his chest as he moves closer to me, "no I'm not drunk, I wouldn't put my baby at risk"

"It's my baby too"

I rolled my eyes, "like you care, how will you explain this to your fiancé. Maybe you could give her my sonogram on your wedding day"

"I'll leave her, we can be a family. You, me and the baby"

"You don't know me and I sure as hell don't know you. I'm your mistress remember and I have no intentions of playing house"

He puts his hands on my arms and looks into my eyes, "I'll leave her, things haven't been right for a long time"

Here we go, promises to leave his wife but it won't happen. I'm not naive enough to to think it will.

"I've wanted a child for so long and now I have one I'm not going to miss out of its life."

I give him a questioning look, I wonder why him and his fiancé don't have children.

"We have tried for years to make a family but it wasn't meant to be, I'm meant to be with you and our child" he sounds so sincere it's hard to be annoyed at him. Part of me believes that this is what he wants but I can't trust him, I would never be able to trust him again.

"Do you even hear yourself, you won't leave her for me and I don't want you to. If you don't want to be with her then leave her for yourself. I will not be to blame, this would have never happened if I had known you weren't single. It was a mistake, all of this is a mistake"

He shakes his head like he doesn't agree with me, he looks desperate. "I want to be with you and be there for our baby"

I don't know how it will work, I can't just run back to him after how much he's hurt me. I'm not going to lie to myself and say it's love but I do care for him and I could have seen us working if none of the lies had existed. I don't think I can look past our history. I feel like the biggest screw up but I can't go back and change anything, unfortunately time travel is only a myth at this point.

"I would never keep you away from our child but nothing will happen between you and me. Both of us know this will not work." In reality I would like nothing more than to be with him and give my baby a real family but I don't know if I can trust him.

"Were selling our old house once it's all sold and the profits split I'll leave, there's nothing there for me anymore"

I shook my head, I find it hard to believe that this is my life. How could this be real. Why was my life never simple.

"Don't leave her for me"  I turn and walk away unable to look at him any longer. I reach the front of my building  when I hear him calling after me. I ignore him and walk faster.  A familiar woman stands at my door, I sigh as I walk closer to her. One lunch and she thinks she's welcome at my home.

I turn around and shout at joe hoping I would scare him away, "unless you want to sit down for tea with me and my mother I suggest you leave"

Joe walked back the way he came with a sigh, "I'll call you"

I turn on my heel and hear back to my mother, she's sat on on the swing by the front door tapping her fingers furiously on her phone.

"Helen"

"Oh Roxanne, look at you. How long will it take for your wrist to heel" Helen actually sounds concerned, there's a first time for anything.

I look down at the bandage on my wrist, it doesn't really hurt now. I barely notice that I'm wearing it. " a week"

I open the door and lead her inside, it's quiet as everyone's at the party so we sit in the family room.

"Is there a reason for the visit" I ask.

Helen shifts in her seat, she suddenly looks uncomfortable. " I'm here to discuss your ..."

Helen looks at my stomach.

"Predicament" she continues.

I raise my eyebrows at her, what could she possibly have to say.

"I don't want you to make the same mistakes as I did, I want you to think of all the options available to you"

"Options"

"I don't want you to dismiss abortion, sometimes it's the best option"

If almost feels like she's kicked me in my stomach.

"So the mistake you made wasn't abandoning me it was giving birth to me"