Twelve

Angel

I was having nightmares. Nightmares about the incident at school. Nightmares about Donna or James escaping and coming back to get me and nightmares about Kaden...

The nightmares I had been having about Kaden were extremely alarming because within the dream he is being tortured and murdered and I am trying my hardest to save him. In the dream I don't care about what harm comes to myself. I only care about saving Kaden and making sure he is okay and that scares me the most. Had Kaden somehow weaseled his way into my feelings? No! Never!

I was deep in thought at my lunch table when I felt a strong hand grip my shoulder. I flinched away from it and jumped out of my seat and up into a defensive stance. Drew backed away from me with his hands up.

"Sorry Angel." He said as he lowered his hands. "I didn't mean to surprise you."

"It's fine Drew," I said as I straightened up and smoothed my shirt. "I'm a little jumpy these days."

"It's okay." He shrugged. "I can completely understand where you're coming from."

My shoulders sagged heavily as I sighed and plopped back into my chair. My hair flowed around me like a wild curly curtain, as if shielding me from the unspoken dangers of the world. I pushed my lunch tray away from me.

"Hey....Angel..there's something I wanted to ask you.."

I looked up from my protective curtain and eyeballed Drew. "Yes?"

He stared at me for a second then nervously scratched his arm. He looked away bashfully and began picking at the end of his hoodie sleeve. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

All I could do was blink. I know, I know...there where a million other things that I could have done. I mean the first ever boy to ask me out and all I could do was blink. My mind froze, my heart froze, my body froze. I was a block of ice as I stared at Drew's worried expression. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what I wanted to do with that offer. I mean a girl like me should feel lucky that any guy would want me. Yeah Kaden "said" he did, but I'm willing to bet it was just some stupid prank he was trying to conjure up. His feelings were a joke and so was he.

A nagging part of me couldn't help, but wonder if Kaden really did love me. He'd been so attentive to me and everything I could have wanted right up until I'd rejected his confession of love. He'd stayed away, but I could feel his eyes on me from time to time and I swear my body wanted to betray me and dive right into his arms. It really made my heart hurt.

"I know it's a bit soon after your accident and that we've only known each other for a few short weeks, but I can't stop thinking about you." He confessed as he ran a hand over the top of his head. I noticed that today he wore it in a low ponytail. "I go to sleep thinking about you, I dream about you, I wake up thinking about you and the idea of that white boy following you around like a long lost puppy drives me insane."

"I thought it out angel." He said as his eyes pierced through me. "I want to be with you."

By the end of his speech he was practically yelling and everyone was staring expectantly. The ice that held me decided to thaw and I looked around me at all the patiently and some impatient eyes staring back. My hands began to shake. I was scared. So scared and the only thought that came to mind was..run.

So that's what I did. I ran passing by a stunned angry Kaden. I ran out of the cafeteria and down the hall. I didn't stop until I made it safely outside. Once outside I released a long heavy sob as I hunched over while gripping my knees for support. I noticed Dionna leaning against a side wall and walked towards her. She had her hands deep in the pockets of high-waisted knee length flowing skirt as she stared into the distance in deep thought.

"Hey Di!" I said as I slowly made my way to her. She grinned at me and nodded.

"Hey girl," she said as she gave me a light hug. "What are you doing out here?"

"Running away from my problems." I told her blatantly.

"Me too."

Just another filler💋