42 | the devil's circuit

F O R T Y - T W O | the devil's circuit—

C O L T

"Stay here!" I shouted at Caprice and dashed towards the restaurant. Bale and the Feds got out from their hiding spots. I ignored them as my legs pumped faster to reach Almeda.

My heart pounded. Ringing ears and the rush of adrenaline. It had been a long time since I felt this way.

And that wasn't a good sign.

I burst through the door, surveying the surroundings before I marched towards Almeda's seat. His head lolled downwards. I straightened him up.

There was a bullet hole between his eyebrows. His mouth parted open while his eyes froze in horror.

"What happened?" Bale asked, stomping towards me. She gasped at the scene before her. "Shit. How did this happen? Our perimeter was solid!"

I shook my head and eyed the red thick curtains that framed the restaurant's windows. I walked towards it, pushing it to the side, and saw pieces of cigarette filters on the ground.

"He was here before you. Probably seven hours."

"Are you serious?"

"Is that so surprising? Because I can stay awake for 72."

Bale grunted in frustration and shouted orders at her men. But I knew it was too late. Krueger was long gone.

It was my fault. If I had delayed the text, he wouldn't have time to do a stakeout. Fuck. He was even better than I thought.

What made me fucking think that Sixto Almeda's money and power could even tempt him?

Information is essential but I don't even know anything about Krueger.

Bale came back. "Can we get DNA or something?"

"No. He field-stripped it."

"What's that?"

"They do this in the military," I answered. He had never left such evidence before. Did Krueger do this on purpose? I turned to the woman, glaring at her and the shit situation I found myself in. "You should've done better," I spat out.

"Colt, I promise I won't go back on my word. If you can—"

"No! No more!" I yelled. Her men visibly cowered at the rage that seeped out from me. "Do you realize what happened? That dead man is responsible for all the ports in North America! And if—"