CHAPTER TWO. LIFE IN NORTHERN GHANA

Northern Ghana is a cool place to be. Akua never knew her hometown. She was enthused when she got there. The vegetation was quiet different from that of the southern sector of the country.
The trees here are short with Shea butter tree as the the commonest and the land barred with few grasses. The houses around are scatted and are mostly roofed with thatch.
You hardly see a brick or block house in this part of the country. The houses are built with mud  and mostly plastered with cow dung.
"De zaanem" an old woman shouted out literally meaning "welcome". She was given a calabash of cold water from a pot sitting at the corner of the compound.
The whole family gathered around her to listen to what brought her home.

After some few months, she became familiar with the place and enjoyed her new environment. It was home away from home to her.
Everything was set for her to commence her education but Akua refused, the reason she didn't disclose.

Around the neighbourhood was this young handsome man who had come to visit his parents. He caught the attention of Akua and eventually started going out together.
I guess this was the reason why she didn't want to further her education.
Their love for each other grew stronger as the day passes by.

Grandpa pleaded with his beloved daughter to kindly finish with her schooling before she does anything else, but as the saying goes " love is blind". She was drunk in love that didn't heed to her father.
The two love birds lived happily. They were all over the place and didn't care what people say about them.
Akua saw this man to be her safe haven, she trusted in him and would do everything and I mean E-everything for him.

One day she decided to pull him a surprise and in the surprise package, she told Mr. Handsome she was pregnant. Pre..gnant he staggered. Whether it was out of excitement or anger, guess we will find out. He wasn't expecting that news.
It came to him out of a blue. Akua decided to explain things to him but he wouldn't listen. Finally they agreed on telling their parents and if permitted get married.

Her worse night mare came to pass when she visited her would be husband the next day but was only told he has travelled down south to an unknown location. She cried her eyes out that day.
At this stage, all hope was lost for the young princess. The man she planned her future with has successfully disappointed her.
She was full of grief and needed someone to talk to but to no avail. She decided to put an end to her life but her father In-law told her to exercise a lil patient.
He assured her his son will surely come back.
These words brought life back in her.

Days passed by, weeks, eventually months yet no letter or a messenger. This time, her hope was long lost.
Her LOVE  wasn't coming back and she didn't know how to get back to her family. As the saying goes , there is no place like home. She finally gathered courage and made it back home.

Initially grandpa was pissed and full of disappointment. But couldn't control his tears when he was his beloved daughter home not with academic certificate but the certificate of pregnancy.

He had to let go of all the pain in him and embrace his lil girl. He comforted her as every parent will do to their prodigal child and told her everything was going to be just fine. All she needed was a little faith.