Chapter Five

She wouldn't look at me. Even after we ordered our food at the sub shop and sat down in the very back of the restaurant. She'd calmed down, though. Her eyes were a little red still, but for the most part it went unnoticed. She opened a packet and squeezed the contents onto her sandwich. Then she looked at me. "What?"

"Nothing. I thought we'd talk."

"About what?" She took a bite. "Do you like me or something?"

"I like you."

"Want to go out with me?"

I rolled my eyes. "I didn't mean like that. I want to be your friend."

"You sure are obsessed for someone that's just looking for friendship." She laughed. "What do you want from me?"

"Nothing." I said, taking a bite of my own sandwich. "Are your boobs real?"

She slowly stopped eating. The look on her face seemed unamused by the question. "What the hell?"

"I'm curious. You asked what I wanted and I want to know about you. So are they real or not?"

She set the sandwich down in the basket. "They're real."

"How?"

"The hormones I take. As I aged I developed breasts. The hormones are also why I don't get facial hair and I look like a girl." She paused and lowered her voice. "I just developed like a girl." Her face was turning pink.

"Do you like boys or girls?" I asked without even thinking. She glared at me. "What?"

"Boys. I'm straight."

"Really?" I took a drink of my soda. I suppose that would count as being straight, right? She's technically a girl and girls like boys. I leaned in closer to her. "Do you still have a dick?"

Her face went from pink to a deep red instantly. "Why would you ask me that!" She was so loud that the few people in the sandwich shop all turned to us. I smiled awkwardly as they went back to their meal.

"Shush. You're the one that didn't want to draw any attention."

Her hand covered her mouth. "Don't ask that stuff." She was extremely quiet now. "This is why I can't date boys right now."

"Why can't you?"

"Because I'm still a boy down there." I couldn't see her face anymore. She was pressed against the top of the table. Her voice was almost inaudible too. "It's gross."

I drank the last bit of my soda. "A guy that really loves you won't have a problem with it."

"Oh really." She shot up, staring straight into my eyes. "And you would date someone in my position?"

I tossed the cup into the empty basket. "Yeah. I would. If I liked her enough."

"And you'd have sex with her."

"Yes."

She made a face and sat back. "Then you're just strange."

I grinned. "I'm not hiding that fact. I just don't care, you know? To me, people are just people. If I love them then I should have no problem with the way they are."

"You're such a sappy guy, you know that?"

"I've been told." I looked out the window beside her at the corvette. "Are you rich or something?"

She looked behind her at the car. "You really don't remember anything from back then, do you?"

"If you're referring to second grade, no, I don't remember. Who does, really?" I looked at her as she gave me that look that read I do. Of course she does. "What?"

"You came to my house once. Bet you don't remember."

"You won the bet. I don't remember. Why was I at your house?"

"For my birthday my mom and dad had me invite everyone in class. I didn't think they would actually show up, but they did." She waited for me to catch up. "You were at that party."

"Was I?" Don't remember. "Walk me through it."

She sighed. "My parents are CEO's so we live in a huge house."

"So you are rich." I stated.

She furrowed her brows. "Why does it seem like nothing phases you?"

"I don't know. Some people are rich and some people aren't. It's not like you're telling me your parents are aliens and your from the planet Gorgon the third." She laughed a little. That was the first time she laughed at one of my jokes. It made me smile. "You have a pretty smile. Definitely a lot better than you glaring at me all the damn time."

Her smile dropped. "Leave me alone."

"Not likely." I checked my phone. "We should get back though before classes start again." I stood up to throw out the garbage, taking hers with me. We walked to the door and out to the car. She stared at me for a while, standing next to me on the passenger's side. "Gwen, aren't you driv-" Her arms wrapped around me. She pulled me close to her in an embrace. My heart started pounding in my chest, but I hoped she didn't hear it through my thick sweatshirt. "I thought you hated me." I muttered, reaching my arms around her too.

But she pulled away from me and ran over to her side of the car. "Get in. Or we'll be late."

I nodded, doing as she said. I felt like I was in a daze. "Gwen -"

"Do you want to get lunch some other time?" She interrupted.

What just happened? Was I hit in the head and now i'm being rushed the hospital trapped in a coma? Suddenly she seemed so... undisgusted by me. Did I do it? "If you want to."

She pulled out of the parking lot. "Here," She pulled out her phone from her schoolbag in the back seat. "Put your number in my phone."

"Alright."

"Let me see yours."

"Yeah, maybe wait until you aren't driving." I suggested. I opened her phone and looked for contacts. There were very few. I saw Mom, Dad, Tania, and Andre, and only two others. Is she lonely? I quickly added my phone number into it and set it in the cup holder between us. "Does this mean you forgive me?"

"What happened to Thomas?" She asked.

"Thomas?" I frowned. "Second grade Thomas?"

"Yeah."

"I really don't know." I did know. Sort of. He was part of that group of smokers. I also knew that he'd started a knife fight at my old high school. Stabbed the girlfriend of a guy that didn't pay for the drugs he ordered. "Why?"

"He gave me this." She rolled up her sleeve and showed me a long scar that went from the middle of her arm to her elbow. "Right after you told everyone that I dressed like a girl in my pink bedroom."

I looked at it again. It looked a bit faded, but still clearly a cut. "What'd he do?"

"He used a box cutter."

"In second grade!" Man, that guy was just trouble since day one.

She nodded. "He said he didn't know it was a box cutter. One of the teachers had left it there. It was supposed to be one of those little pranks you guys pulled on me all the time. But it really fucking hurt."

"Oh... I'm sorry." I'm so confused. Does this mean she's fine with me or she still hates me? "You have friends now though, right?"

"Tania and Andre."

I frowned. "Anyone else?"

"No."

I sat back. We were pulling into the high school parking lot now. "Am I your friend?"

She parked the car and started getting out. I followed her through the parking lot up to the entrance where Tania and Andre were waiting. She turned to me, giving me a half smile. "Sure." And walked away with Tania and Andre at her side.

I sighed, taking the stairs up to the second level for my classic literature class. Automatically I pulled out my phone and started paging through a few texts. Then I stopped.

I didn't get Gwen's number.