Chapter 6: The Discussion

Lord Von Dane departed directly from Dilston Manor but I knew we had not seen the last of him. I felt unsettled from the encounter and did not know what to make of it. He hadn't acted they way I had anticipated. His response to the thief's hand was one of surprise at first and then he was stone faced and unreadable

Whatever he and the Earl were planning didn't matter. I would no longer allow us to be victims. It was time to tip the scales and do something drastic that would let all our enemies know we would not be defeated easily. I suddenly felt Brom Randolph's presence was a blessing in disguise. He would be able to help with my plan I was sure of it. The only problem was getting the men and especially Sir Gregory to go along with it.

Lord and Lady Pennington decided to remain at Dilston Manor for a time. I had thought they would be anxious to take their leave, especially given the situation. Yet they seemed to genuinely want to help. I had to admit, knowing we had friends and allies was encouraging.

It was two days later that Jocelyn and I found ourselves in the garden with little Liam. We sat on a stone bench and watched Liam play. He clumsily tried to walk around, picking up small stone off the ground. He would hold them in his chubby little hand and examine them carefully before tossing them on the ground again.

"He is the sweetest boy." I commented, laughing with delight.

"Thank you, I think he is the most wonderful thing in the whole world, but I am only his mother so I'm supposed to feel that way." Jocelyn smiled beaming at her son.

It was nice to have a moment where I was not worrying about my present circumstances. I knew there was much to be done but it could wait for later.

"you know what I was thinking?" Jocelyn suddenly said. She turned to me with a gleam in her eye. "You should have a gala with dancing and a fine feast. Make it the most splendid affair and invite everyone you can think of including the Lord Von Dane fellow we met a few days ago.

"Why would I want to do that?" I questioned. "I couldn't imagine why in the world having a party would be a good idea." I thought maybe Jocelyn was teasing but I could see that she was quote serious.

"Can you thing of a better way to let your enemies know that you are not intimidated?" She asked.

"I think having my enemies under the same roof all at the same time would be a disaster." I relied in incredulously.

"They would at least be chivalrous if nothing else. They would not do something so publicly. That is also why you invite everyone; you still have allies and those that mean you harm would be foolish to initiate any hostile actions. It would however, allow you to observe them and you might discern who means you ill." She suggested.

"I already know that." I insisted.

"Do you really?" Jocelyn queried. "Lord Von Dane was right about one thing. You and this land will be a temptation and the more time that goes by without your father's presence here, more and more will covet this land for themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if you receive several offers of marriage as well. Some will try other tactics besides violence to get their hands on your land."

"I'm still not certain that having a party would be a good idea, but I will think on it." I replied with a grimace.

"Tell me Thea, is your aversion to the idea as much out of fear for your enemies or rather the fact that your would have to wear a beautiful gown?" She teased giggling.

"Of course not!" I insisted at first and then added. "Although I definitely do not relish the idea. Oh my, you must think I'm quite the heathen. I've never felt comfortable playing the role of a lady. When I'm on Genevieve with my bow in my hand, that is when I feel confident and sure of myself. Pathetic isn't it?" I said disgusted with myself.

"Oh no, I wish I had your confidence. When those thieves attacked us I was so frightened and I just huddled down and held on to Liam. I felt so helpless even knowing my husband would protect us. What if something had happened to him, could I protect my child if I was the only one to do it?" Jocelyn looked at her son and shook slightly.

"You are stronger than you know. If you want, I could teach you a few ways to defend yourself. If something happens again then you would feel better prepared. Considering you are mad enough to stay here under the circumstances there is a great chance that you'll need to learn it." I said gravely.

Just then Lord Pennington and Brom approached. "You two have been in confidence for over an hour now. What is it exactly that you have been conspiring about?" Lord Pennington teased his wife leaning down to kiss her lightly on the lips.

"Oh nothing really. I was telling Thea she should have a party and she has offered to teach me a few ways that I could defend myself if the need were to arise."

"My dear you know I will never allow anything to happen to you." Lord Pennington said in distress.

"Darling, I have complete confidence in your abilities to protect our family. I suppose it would be for my own peace of mind more than anything-to help me not feel so helpless." Jocelyn reasoned with her husband. "Of course if you think it best that I not..." She trailed off.

Brom interrupted, " The idea of a lady such as yourself having to take up the sword is completely repugnant to me. You are a lady of refinement and it is our duty to defend you at all cost. There should be no need for you to learn such unbecoming-"

It was my turn to cut in. "As I am not a lady of refinement because I am able to wield a sword. And who pray tell is there to defend me? I have scarce few men that must protect all those who live within our borders and keep our enemies at bay. But you a right, I am not a lady of refinement. Yet, I will tell you that a woman has every right to learn how to defend herself, even if she must deviate from the social standard set before her!"

"Or is a man so arrogant that he cannot fathom there would be a need for her to protect herself. Yet how many women, lady or not, suffer from the cruelty of men with no one to be their defender?" I was seething with fury at Brom's pompous stance on woman. I stared into his eyes daring him to respond to my words.

Instead of the anger I was expecting to see, I only saw pain that my words seemed to cut through to his very soul.

"My apologize." He said in barely a whisper. He gave a curt nod and left.