July 11, 2005

Rain beat steadily around her, accenting the loneliness that sat within her heart. She'd spent too many years as part of a set, just one wheel of the machine. Important and necessary, but useless without those around her.

She had to relearn her life. Never again would she see their smiling faces, hear their laughter as they tested out George's new products.

Who would so happily let her boss them around? Who would tell her to put a sock in it when she inevitably pushed too far?

Her hand drifted to her waist.

Who would she share this news with?

She'd never get to see Ron's eyes light up with the knowledge that they would be parents. Never see him teach their child how to fly. Never listen to him complain about a lack of sleep due to incessant crying.

She'd never see Harry and Ginny have more children. Never watch their children playing together. Never stand on King's Cross station with them and see them go off to Hogwarts.

King's Cross.

Why did they have to go on a lark? That day, of all days, Harry had to show Ron and Ginny what a muggle double-decker was like.

Why had she been at work? Maybe, if she had been with them she would have seen the bomber. She was the observant one. It was her job to see those things.

Tears prickled at her eyes and her hands tightened in her robes.

Lies.

I must not tell lies.

That had been on Harry's hand. That was how she had identified him.

A sob ripped through her and she swayed on her feet. Instantly she felt an arm go around her shoulders and she was pulled close to a broad chest.

She didn't know who it was.

But it didn't really matter, he wasn't Ron.

The tears flowed freely, her sobs drowned out by the sound of the rain. She almost wished she wasn't a witch. If she had been a muggle she would have known she could have done nothing.

But as a witch...

Another sob tore through her and a hand patted her back awkwardly. She let it all out. All her fears of the future and what might be coming. Tomorrow was another day. Tomorrow she could focus on the life growing within her and what she would do with herself.

But today she would look back at yesterday. Look back and mourn those she had lost.

When no more tears would come she pulled back, a fine linen handkerchief filled her vision and she took it gratefully. Her tears dried, she looked up to see the last person she ever expected in front of her.

"What..." she started, but found herself unable to continue.

He nodded over at the freshly-filled graves, "Potter saved my life. I came to pay my respects."

She forced out a smile, knowing that if she didn't she would cry again.

"He saved all of our lives. He had a saving people thing."

Malfoy's lips twisted into a smile that perfectly matched her own, "That he did. Now, why are you over here by yourself? I would have thought the Weasleys would be with you."

"They're over there, with Ron." She pointed behind him at another grave. "I already paid my respects."

"Bullshit. You were his wife. I'm betting you want to say goodbye once they're gone. You don't want anyone to hear you."