May 21, 2011

"Mummy!"

The childish cry rang through the small cottage, distracting Hermione from her work. She sighed and set down her quill.

Rose wasn't supposed to be home for several hours. Long enough for Hermione to get this report finished for work. Percy had promised her he would take Lucy, James and Rose to the zoo, then they would meet Audrey and Little Molly at the Burrow for dinner. That had been her price for doing this favor for him.

She barely got halfway to the front parlor when her arms were full of her five-year old daughter. Standing in the parlor doorway was a very defiant looking James Potter, with a slightly amused Draco Malfoy behind him. She frowned, stamping down the pain in her heart. She'd seen that look on Harry's face much too often.

It was a blessing and a curse - that James looked as much like Harry as Harry had looked like his own father. At least Rose was a beautiful blend of her and Ron. And her eyes were entirely her own. Unlike James and his brown eyes, so like his mother's.

"Mummy! James made this bad boy blow up! He got like this!" She puffed up her face with air, trying to show what had happened.

Having once heard about Harry's 'Aunt' Marge, Hermione already had a good idea.

"He pushed Rose. Said little babies can't look at lions. Too scary," James said the last bit in a sneer and Hermione sighed.

James may look like Harry, but he was as vindictive as Ginny.

Maybe there should be a law about allowing Potters into zoos. For the safety of bullying muggle boys, of course.

"Don't worry, Hermione. Everything was sorted out, but Percy decreed that the fun day was over. So after obliviating the nearby muggles I offered to see them home to you."

Hermione sighed and set Rose down, "Thank you, Draco. James," she directed her attention at the boy, "please go upstairs to your room and think about controlling that temper." She pulled out her wand and sent a spell at the boy. "You are to sit on your bed and think. I shall know instantly if you crack open a book or touch a toy. Understand?"

James looked down, "Yes, Aunt Hermione."

He trudged up the stairs and Hermione wanted to call him back, say that boy deserved it, but she couldn't allow herself to do that. James had to learn discipline. He had to know when to seek his own justice and when to find an adult.

Who knew raising children by herself could be so difficult?

Rose tugged on Hermione's robes. "Mummy, can I go play with my dolls?"

She nodded, "Yes, but be quiet, Mummy has work to do and James needs to think."

Rose nodded and put a finger to her lips, making a shushing sound before turning and silently creeping up the stairs.

Hermione watched her go, knowing she couldn't keep the sad smile off her face.

"You're doing a brilliant job with the two of them."

She almost jumped, she'd forgotten Draco was there.

"It's nice you think that, but sometimes I'm not so sure. Rose isn't too difficult, she's almost as self-sufficient as I was. But James...well, he seems to feel he has to earn his place in this family. He's so protective of the younger ones. Of all the cousins only Teddy and Victoire can get him to relax and act like a child. Now," she slipped her wand back into her robes and wandered into the kitchen, checking the time, "it appears I have to cook an actual supper today rather than getting work done. Would you care to join us? You know I've never managed to cook without mountains of leftovers."