Fresh start

Uma's POV
A week had passed since Uma's trial and she was set to start her community service. Oddly enough she was assigned kitchen duty at Tiana's Palace while they were serving food to the less fortunate that month. Tiana was always feeding those in need, she never turned away a hungry soul, but every other month she made it her mission to make large sums of food and hand it out in front of her restaurant. Figuring it wouldn't leave a good impression to be late on her first day Uma hurried to get ready and then was rushed by limo to the restaurant.

Inside she was greeted by the smiling face of Tiana. The owner extended her hand to shake Uma's, to which she obliged. In her very pronounced accent Tiana said "You must be Uma, Trevor's told me so much about you." Innocently, obviously not knowing the history between her, Trevor and Harry. Uma quirked and eyebrow as Tiana asked "Trevor being your ex isn't going to be a problem is it?" Motioning to her son whom Uma hadn't even noticed was bussing tables. Quickly and honestly Uma shook her head "No ma'am, not at all." She replied, saving a few choice words for Trevor when she got a chance.

It seemed that she was going to get that opportunity because Tiana told her that not only would she be working in the kitchen, she would be handing out food with him as well. Upon hearing this she inwardly groaned, but on the outside she maintained her poise and put her hair up as she was asked to do. Tiana called Trevor over and told her the same thing Uma had just been informed of. She had already gone back into the kitchen to start the gumbo when Trevor joined her. For at least five minutes Uma ignored him as she prepared the food, but then what Tiana had referred to her as got the better of her. Sarcastically Uma asked "So...since when am I your ex?" Turning in his general direction, one hand on her hip and the other on the sharp knife she had been chopping with.

With a cheeky smile Trevor replied "You could have been my girlfriend." And Uma rolled her eyes before returning to her work and ignoring Trevor. He wasn't about to ignore her though. No, he took every opportunity now to irritate her. Whenever she went somewhere, he was there. Every time she went to wash dishes, he was right there doing the same and doing his best to make sure they touched at some point. When she was handing food out he had to go too.  Whenever Uma noticed him doing any of these she would give him the death glare, which only seem to feed into it and make him do it more.

Tiana had given them a break when Harry walked in. Uma took off the white apron she had been given and walked towards her boyfriend with a smile on her face. Throwing the apron over her shoulder Uma asked "What are you doing here?" Leaning against him when he wrapped an arm around her waist "You didn't tell me you were coming by." She finished as he kissed the top of her head. He smiled as he said "I thought I'd surprise you on your first d..." trailing off, Uma noticed he was looking behind her.

All of a sudden his cheerful expression hardened before he said "You didn't tell me he was going go be working here." Through gritted teeth. Uma didn't even need to turn around to figure out who he was talking about. They had long standing issues as far as Trevor was concerned and it wasn't something Uma saw Harry letting go of any time soon. Putting a reassuring hand on his chest Uma stated "I didn't know until I got here, trust me I wish he wasn't." She said and Harry nodded but never took his clear blue eyes off of the son on Tiana.

Uma tried several times to get Harry to stop worrying about Trevor and talk to her, but his attention only stayed on her for a few minutes. After a while Trevor scoped the place for Uma and found her sitting with Harry. Uma inwardly groaned as he made his way over with an annoying smirk on his face. As Trevor got closer Harry tensed and Uma scooted more towards him in case she needed to stop him. It all depended on what Trevor did or said. He stopped in front of the pair and exclaimed "Harry! It's such a pleasure to see you." In false polite tone "And to see you and Uma are still together is such a surprise." He added, before dropping his eyes "Figured she'd get tired of dating someone who won't ever amount to anything." He finished in a low whisper and Uma felt Harry go rigid behind her.

Feeling Harry tense up even more than he had before Uma knew Trevor had triggered the really ugly side of Harry. The side Uma tried to prevent from rearing its ugly head and had a time reeling in once it did. The side of him that almost murdered people when they were still on the Isle. Hastily Uma sat herself on Harry's lap before he could get up and in warning told Trevor "I'd just walk away if I were you." But the boy didn't budge, he just stood there "What? Can't handle the truth? He'll never be anything be a loser...just like his dad." And Uma glared "Go away now before I let him show you that he can actually be much worse than James Hook." She threatened and grabbed Harry's hand when it went for his hook.

Trevor seemed to notice where his hand had headed because he muttered "Whatever." Before walking off to find Tiana. When Trevor was out of their sight Uma turned her attention back to Harry who was struggling to get Uma off so he could go after the prince. Uma place a hand on either side of his face and tried to get Harry to look at her, but that was proving to be a struggle as he kept trying to find Trevor.

Forcefully she turned his head towards her and gently said "Hey, look at me," He tried to turn his gaze from hers "Don't worry about him," She encouraged as he locked his eyes with hers, the madness shining within them "He doesn't matter. All that matters is you and me." She told him as he instinctively brought his hands up to her hips, holding her there. He was breathing erratically but his features softened a bit, always a good sign when he got like this. It meant that while he was still pissed off, he wasn't going to hurt anyone.

He pressed his forehead against hers as she breathed "It's just us." Over and over again until his breathing evened out. When he was no longer tense and breathing heavily Uma asked him "Are you okay?" And he nodded, leaning in for a kiss.

They were just inches apart when Tiana's voice said "I just talked to King Ben and he wants you to work 3 hours a day at the maximum so you're free to go." And Uma looked up at her temporary boss with a grateful smile. Handing over the apron that was still draped over her shoulder and handed it to her. She told Tiana she'd see her the next day before dragging Harry out of her restaurant, telling him she wanted to get something to eat. Together the two went to the Mediterranean restaurant they had once been to. She had left in such a hurry before Trevor got bold enough to try Harry again and she couldn't stop him next time.

Uma's outfit