6: Starting with the Corners

Jigsaw puzzle, noun.

1. a set of irregularly cut pieces that form a picture or design when fitted together.
2. any complex, confusing situation as one composed of seemingly diverse or unrelated elements.

***

I wasn't sure if Tate had skipped last period because he didn't want to have to face me and have to suffer my questioning, or if something was wrong. Either way, he didn't show up for last period, and I was pissed. Last period was when I was supposed to get some answers as a thank you for helping him! Only he was nowhere to be seen. We still hadn't exchanged phone numbers so I couldn't even text him and find out where the hell he had disappeared off to. I was in a dark mood and barely paid attention to the teacher's babbling.

A few rows in front of me, Devin kept turning around in his seat and looking my way. There was something about the way he stared at me that was troubling. Doubt and apprehension. Every time he looked my way, I glared at him, taking my annoyance with Tate out on him. What was his problem anyway? Was he afraid I would tell the entire school about him and Stella, ruining his reputation? Honestly, if I had wanted to do that I would have spilled a long time ago. I definitely wouldn't have waited until senior year, that's for sure. On the other hand, if he didn't want anyone finding out he was with Stella, the girl ought to dump him. If he was too ashamed to share, he definitely wasn't worth it.

The hour passed by extremely slowly, and my pen only seemed to want to annoy me more by dying on me, leaving me to take my notes with my pencil, which I hated. By the time the bell rang signaling the end of the school day, I was practically the first one out of the classroom. I barely heard the homework assignment the teacher gave us for the next class. In the mood I was in, I probably wouldn't be able to focus enough to get it done properly.

Opening my locker, I was grumbling to myself and swearing when I dropped my English book to the ground. Bending to pick it up, I cursed once again when all the loose papers inside flew out and ended up across the hall. Awesome, Sawyer, just fucking awesome. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath to calm myself down. This was seriously ridiculous! So Tate didn't want to share what he knew. Fine! Today would have been the first and last time I helped him out. What had possessed me to do so in the first place? Had I honestly expected he would tell me what was going on in this school? The idea that he knew more about what was going on them me was disturbing enough; I didn't need him to prove it.

Letting the air rush out of my lungs again, I opened my eyes again to find Devin's face only a feet or so away from my own.

"Fuck," I cursed, jerking back. "What the hell, Devin? Haven't you ever heard of personal space?"

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," he apologized, handing me the papers he had gathered.

I grumbled my thanks and stuffed the papers into my bag along with the book. Devin stood up the same time as I did, but didn't say anything. Unsure what to think of him standing next to me, I returned my attention to my locker to gather my things. Maybe he would eventually go away if I just ignored him. But if that method never worked on problems, why would it work on him? With the tall athlete leaning against the next locker, it was hard to focus on what I actually needed. Not because I was feeling all giddy and thinking 'oh my god, Devin is standing right next to me oh my god!' more because I was thinking 'god what does he want? Can't he leave me alone?'

When I was done, I slammed the locker shut, startling Devin. That made me feel slightly better. Then I turned to him and, putting a hand on my hip, I waited. He might be tall, but he wasn't all that intimidating, especially not when he had such a look on his face. He looked like an insecure boy who didn't know what to do. Maybe that was really what he was like. Perhaps he really was afraid I might say anything about him and Stella; he could honestly be unsure of what do. After all, he was not the kind of guy to threaten me to keep silent. That definitely didn't seem like his style.