21: Business before Pleasure

To Escape, verb.

1. to slip or get away, as from confinement or restraint; gain or regain liberty.
2. to slip away from pursuit or peril; avoid capture, punishment or any threatened evil.

***

The next morning, Tate was waiting at my locker. I had honestly no idea what to expect when I walked over. What was I supposed to expect after last night? We had kissed for an hour and then Tate had left through my window. What were we now? Were we friends? Boyfriend-girlfriend? Friends with benefits? Like, really, what I was supposed to do?

Of course, Tate being Tate, he said 'hi' like there was nothing to fret over. Then he smirked at me and I still was no closer to figuring it out. But, if he acted like everything was normal, then I could do the same. And so, I nearly smacked him in the face with my locker and waited for Devin to show up as he did most mornings. Soon enough, the werewolf appeared and started asking Tate all about the past weekend, the discoveries, and whatever else he might have missed. Honestly, Devin was better informed than I was. Maybe it helped that he cared and that he was involved. I had to admit; I didn't feel involved at all. Devin was part of the supernatural community as much as Tate was, and supposedly me as well. But they had known it their entire lives. It was like being a member of an exclusive club; you might have a lifetime membership, but if you didn't know you had the membership, you couldn't use it.

My membership had been lost in the mail for seventeen years.

"Devin, you need to give me some space. We are working on it, and I will tell you all you need to know. However, you have to admit, these daily conversations aren't helping either of us." Tate spoke seriously, putting a hand on the other guy's shoulder. "I suggest you focus on soccer and I will let you know when I need you. Though that might be sooner than you think. Let's hope so."

"You are not at all telling me what I need to know. How is it that Sawyer gets to tell Lucas what he needs to know and I get blindsided."

"I can tell you what I told Lucas yesterday," I offered as I closed my locker. Before Devin could either agree or refuse my offer I continued. "There might have been some progress, but I can't tell you any more than that. Tate and Dean can't risk having you do something stupid because that might fuck up the whole thing."

"That's what you told Lucas?" Tate asked surprised and definitely amused.

"Something like that; I wasn't quite so blunt pointing out he could fuck up for you though. Aside from that, yes, I told him there might have been some progress. Not even that there had been progress for certain. Better raise his hopes just enough to keep him from doing something that couldn't possibly be good."

"That's smart." He nodded sagely. Then a smirk spread across his face and he turned to the werewolf. "Look Devin, there might have been some-"

"Fuck off. I'm not Lucas, I'm not going to do something stupid; I want to be kept in the loop."

I could understand that. And I did. Better than he might think. When he and Tate had had their secret and had been making it obvious that they shared one, I had felt entirely left out. It was only normal that Devin wanted to know what was going on, especially since he had been Tate link to the other supernaturals since the beginning. But, he was also close with Lucas and God knows how many of the other supernaturals who were missing someone.

"The others have been putting pressure on you, haven't they?" I guessed. Devin turned his dark eyes to me, impassive at first. Then, the longer he looked at me, the more it all seemed to crumble down. There was relief on his face, like he was glad someone had finally seen through him. "Devin, go to the others, tell them there has been progress but from here on out you won't get information others wouldn't get. And, if Tate doesn't tell you anything, they won't pressure you into getting it."