Chapter 3

"Goodbye mom,'' I say to my mother for the third time in this phone call, she has trouble saying goodbye.

''I love you, baby.'' I miss her but I have to stay strong for a little while longer.

''I love you too,'' I say as I hang up the phone slowly.

I get dressed and head out of my room almost an hour early which makes me super proud of my lazy ass. I'm going to walk around the school and see if there is anything entertaining for me to do because I don't feel like reading right now.

I walk around until I come to the football field where I find a group of Greek Gods spread across the field doing their early morning practice. I think I'm just going to find a spot on the bleachers and watch this wonderful sight for a while. They move gracefully across the field like they aren't even touching the ground which baffles me considering I look like a dying ostrich when I run, yet I still do it.

I take out my phone to check my Instagram when the football comes hurtling straight into me making my phone fly across the bleachers. I jump up throwing my hands into the air in an exasperated manner.

"What the hell!?" I scream at the boys who are now all looking at me."That was a new phone!"

"Could you throw the ball back!?" A guy with dark hair shouts back.

"No! You can come and get it yourself!" I shout getting more heated by the second. "I need to find my phone."

I start looking around in the direction that it flew, I spot the yellow case and jump towards it. I flip it over slowly and see that the screen is completely shattered and it won't turn on. I look up to see that the guy is standing on the bleachers holding the ball and looking at me expectantly.

"Look at it!" I shout walking towards him but I don't miss that glint of fear in his eyes.

"Chill Blue, I'll buy you a new one." He says soothingly. Blue?

"Just like that? By when?" I ask poking his chest.

"You'll have a new phone by tomorrow." He winks at me and starts walking away "Se ya, Blue. And don't break too many hearts."

"What!?"I shout back but he just chuckles.

''Hey!''Jack suddenly materializes behind me "What's up?"

"Those idiots just broke my phone," I say still annoyed.

"How? What did they do?" He asks sounding more worried than he should be.

"I was just sitting here looking at the great view-" I begin but he cuts me off

"What view?"

"You wouldn't understand" I continue my explanation "Then BAM the ball comes busting into me making my phone fly across the bleachers!"

"They going to buy you a new one?" He asks

"Yeah, Prince Charming over there said he would get me one by tomorrow," I say pointing at the guy and Jack just nods in understanding.

''You want to go get some breakfast?" He scratches the back of his neck awkwardly.

''Only because I'm hungry and need my coffee," I say walking away, I'm annoyed that I just confided in him with my problem.

...

It is currently early evening and I am walking to the cafeteria to get some food when someone grabs my arm and starts pulling me in the opposite direction. It's Jack.

''Um, what are you doing?'' I ask urgently

''Just follow me'' What if he is an assassin? Nobody will find my body in the forest. Should I try and rip away and scream for help? Maybe I karate chop him right where the Sun don't shine. Maybe not.

He eventually stops pulling me when we get to the fence that separates the school from the forest, I look at him confused and annoyed as to why we are here.

"I knew you wouldn't come if I told you. I just wanted somewhere that we could talk and get to know each other." So he's not going to kill me, that's comforting.

"I was hungry, Jack." I say crossing my arms over my chest.

"And you can get food once I know some more about you." I start to walk away but he grabs my arm and pulls me back.

''Ugh Fine, What do you want to know?'' I ask. There's a wall built right by the fence that we use for school posters and random stuff, it has a gap big enough between it and the fence for us to sit comfortably.

"What are you into?" he asks shrugging.

"I'm in the Mafia," I say acting very serious. Jack's whole demeanor changes and he starts to look tense.

"I'm kidding." I deadpan and he instantly relaxes "I like sketching and writing, what about you?"

"Football." He shrugs

"Wow, I never would have guessed." I roll my eyes.

"I sketch every now and again." He defends. "You play any instruments?"

"I can play the Triangle." I chuckle and he does too.

"Your laugh." He begins

"What about it?" I ask going defensive again.

"It's beautiful." He finishes smiling softly and I bow my head.

"You play any instruments?" I ask

"Yeah, guitar." He says pretending to play the air guitar and I shake my head at him.

It's gotten dark already and we are busy looking at the stars when I see a flashlight coming around the corner, it's one of the night guards. I grab Jack's arm and pull him towards the door making a run for it, as we get through the door Jack kicks a bucket and the guard comes running around the corner.

''Hey, who's there!?'' he shouts.

We run as fast as possible with him far enough behind us that he can't see who we are. We arrive at Jack's room and quickly run in before the guard comes around the corner shutting the door quietly as we hear him run past.

"My God." I cough bending over to catch my breath.

"I think you need to start running with me in the morning, you're so unfit." He says not even breathing heavily.

"If I could breathe I would hit you with a smart ass comeback," I say coughing again. This is bad. He just chuckles at my state.

I twist the door nob to leave back to my room but a guard walks down the hall again.

"There's a guard patrolling the halls," I say closing the door again and rolling my eyes.

''You can take the bed and I'll take the couch,'' he says grabbing a pillow and blanket from the cupboard.