FOUR - Sealed With A Kiss

Dusk drew near; as the sun dipped low in the sky like a weary soldier and the clouds were tainted rosy-pink, merchants packed up their wares and guards retired from their posts about the city. The walls of Camelot stood strong and impending against the dying rays, as the air grew colder and the stirrings of an evening-breeze rattled the bare trees and thatched roofs of the cottages. Sparks flew in the dim as candles were lit and hearths set ablaze all over the city - lower-town and citadel alike - providing warmth and comfort to the people of Camelot.

It was going to be a cold night.

Nonetheless, the castle itself was a bustling hive of activity: servants scurried, guards stood rigid and stiff, lords and ladies departed to their chambers and soldiers were merry, drinking to the returning health of their Prince.

It was at this time - as the last of the sunlight drained away and colour bled into grey - that Merlin gently pushed open the chamber door; instantly aware of Arthur's cold gaze upon his prickling skin, staring him down from the bed where he sat motionless.

"You'll catch a chill in here." The servant murmured weakly, goose-bumps already rising on his forearms as he approached the fireplace, trying hard to ignore the unspoken tension simmering between the pair. Arthur had directly requested that the knights not see him, but Merlin had failed to prevent that; hence why Arthur was sitting in stony silence, sullen and brooding as he watched his manservant strike flint against steel.

The morning's events skipped through Merlin's mind.

He'd desperately tried to stop the knights from seeing Arthur - even reaching the point where Percival had offhandedly shoved Merlin aside - but to no avail, leaving the remorseful Servant peering around the door at the knights surrounding his master's bed. He had crept away in shame, sorry to have broken Arthur's word, indignant and perplexed at the knight's behaviour towards him; but mostly resentful towards himself for not being more firm and steadfast.

Merlin had spent the rest of the day helping Gaius, unable to admit that he was avoiding Arthur. Nevertheless, Gaius had ordered him to check on the Prince that evening, leaving Merlin no choice but to face Arthur and the consequences that were sure to follow.

Wood crackled and spat; Merlin jumped as he was dragged back to reality. Flames licked at his boots and he rose to his feet, carefully stepping away to stare into the fire he'd made, oblivious to his actions whilst lost in his thoughts.

Colourful ribbons of warmth danced in the silence.

"Merlin," Arthur started sternly - but before he could speak another word Merlin was at his side, his face a mask of exasperation and distress; something Arthur rarely saw in his servant, despite the daily antics he had to put up with.

"I told them! I told them that you didn't want any visitors. But they just don't listen." Merlin blurted indignantly, pleading with Arthur to understand, seeking solace within his depths of blue - but all that he found were blank, glassy orbs - showing no emotion - staring back at him.

"All they wanted to do was talk to you," he continued desperately, "and they were quite determined, so I'm sorry I couldn't have done anything." Merlin broke off abruptly, but only because Arthur had grabbed his arm, pulling him closer until their faces were only inches apart.

Merlin swallowed. He found himself unwillingly studying Arthur's eyes; like shards of sapphire they sparkled and danced in the candlelight, precious jewels of unfathomable value that rippled and shivered like a wind-disturbed lake. His hair was unkempt and astray, and Merlin could imagine running his hands through it.

A sharp jerk on his arm made him wince and stumble ungraciously upon the bed, landing awkwardly on Arthur's legs. Scrambling to sit up, he glared at Arthur - whose face creased into one of apologetic amusement - rubbing his arm fiercely.

"What was that for?"

Supressing a grin and shuffling forward, the Prince crossed his legs so he faced his servant on the bed. "I'm sorry," He acknowledged, though his eyes sparkled light-heartedly, "but that was for letting the knights in." He held up a hand as Merlin opened his mouth to protest further. "I know you tried to stop them - Leon told me everything off your... valiant effort - but it was still inconvenient. Though... they weren't as troubled as I'd thought they'd be." He admitted hesitantly.

Merlin's shoulders sagged as he let a thin smile creep onto his face, relieved that Arthur wasn't too angry with him. In a fleeting second of silence the pair studied one another. Neither were tense or troubled by the situation anymore; simply glad to be alone in one another's company, content and undisturbed at last.

After a short while, Merlin spoke again. "Did you discuss anything important?"

He was suddenly aware of how close their bodies were, of how Arthur's knee was only an inch from Merlin's arm, of how their chests rose and fell in time, and their breath mingled together in the cold air.

"No one learnt anything of Morgana," Arthur's face darkened slightly as he relayed the disheartening news, "but we discussed our next move."

Merlin nodded lightly, keen to hear what the knights had arranged, but dreading that their perfect moment be ruined by talk of such serious and sobering matters.

"In three days' time we will ride to Nottingdale - with luck, it should only take us two days to reach the city on horseback - and search for information there. I have good reason to believe that Morgana has fled Camelot and gone into hiding within a city." Arthur explained.

"But isn't Nottingdale within King Erald's kingdom?" Merlin asked softly.

"Correct," Arthur's eyes flickered fondly to Merlin's face, "but King Erald has granted safe-passage. He is good friends with my father - our Kingdoms have always been at peace - and he is no fool; he understands how dangerous Morgana is, and how bringing her to justice will benefit both of our Kingdoms. Uncle Agravaine has approved the plans, and he is to stay here and look after the kingdom when I am gone." After a pause, he added, "It won't be a dangerous task; all we require is intelligence, and the plan is confidential to me and those I trust with my life."

Then Arthur gave Merlin a lopsided smile, so genuinely sweet that unexpected warmth rushed through Merlin like a fire was blazing in his very heart. "I may only lead a small group of men, but the knights - and you, Merlin - are all that I desire by my side."

All Merlin could do was nod shakily, lest he lean forward and plant his lips upon the Prince's own in an act of complete, reckless lust. And yet, suddenly Arthur's hand was holding his own, fingers intertwined with those he thought he'd never touch, skin on skin as unspoken words of passion fizzled between the unlikely pair.

Their eyes caught, - one pair wide and innocent, the other blissful and sure - now only inches apart as they wordlessly leaned closer, the space between them narrowing as their lips collided and the fire hissed in the hearth.

Unbeknownst to the doting couple, through a crack in the door, dark, malicious eyes followed the pair. Accompanying the prying eyes, a sly smirk that oozed menace and disgust played on the Lord's face. His suspicions surrounding the Prince and his lowly servant more-than confirmed, he whisked away without a sound, his dark cape billowing behind him like a plague.

 His suspicions surrounding the Prince and his lowly servant more-than confirmed, he whisked away without a sound, his dark cape billowing behind him like a plague

a/n - It's all starting to kick off now!! ;) Please remember to vote if you enjoyed, it would mean the world to me!