CHAPTER SEVEN

Gaspar Varga

Gaspar Varga

     Far up in the trees, hidden behind vines and rustling leaves, wary eyes followed my stroll through the woods. Their bodies glowed in all the seven colors, like every other sinner, and where all the species differed there was that one thing we all had in common; we were all sinners. The little sunlight that managed to probe the trees left glistening golden rays. This was not like the woods in the werewolf area where you could spot another from a fair distance, here the trees grew so close together that I often had to squeeze myself through them. No sane man would unsolicited tread the Nymph territory. Then again, I wasn't quite sane. A movement flashed from the trees and before I'd blinked a crowd of women with clean, flawless skin and bodies barely covered in flowers and plants surrounded me. I stood still and rotated around until I had looked each one of them in the eye.

One of them with purple hair and a face shaped like a heart stepped forward. "Leave," she said. "We will not warn you again."

"I'm looking for someone, and I cannot leave before I find him

"I'm looking for someone, and I cannot leave before I find him."

The women exchanged glances. They knew very well who I was looking for. In fact, they were hiding him. Purple-hair frowned at me. "We don't care who or what you are looking for. This is our terrain, everything that is here is ours, and if you don't leave you will be left to our mercy as well." The woman eyed me from head to toe. "And trust me, that is the very last thing you want."

I made a small bow. "I'll leave, if that is what you ladies wish. However, I will return and when I do, I will set your precious little territory ablaze and burn it to the ground, for so help me God, one way or another I'm going to find him."

They looked at one another again, and whispered words in a language I could not understand. A soft one, sounding like music almost. After a while of debating, Purple-hair faced me again. "What is it you want from him?"

"Nothing," I said with a small shrug. "I just want to see him. For my own peace of mind."

"That makes no sense," she said with a frown.

I smiled. "I make no sense."

She said something in their own language and it was clear from her tone that she gave orders, to which a few of them disappeared in the trees. When they returned, he was with them. Even now, after his defeat, his chin stood up high, and with the deep frown and grey specks in his black hair and his pale shade and cold grey eyes it seemed like nothing had ever happened.