Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I froze, staring at my little brother, watching those blue-green eyes glow, so much like mine, so much like Hades's. Except he wasn't seeing in the dark; he was seeing something that was about to happen. He was seeing... my death.

My throat closed shut quickly, and a small wave of panic went through me as I stared back at him, wanting to ask him more. Wanting to ask him how, why, when, where. I wanted to tell him that was impossible. I wanted to be angry, denying everything he was saying. He was just a child. He had no idea what the world was about, what sort of things could happen.

And yet, as I stared back at him, watched the illumination from those eyes, watched his pupil adjust to the light around them, I felt panic. I felt fear.

"Keros..." I couldn't find a response, couldn't find a way to ask him what I wanted to ask him, ask him if he was sure. I didn't get a chance either, because as quickly as those eyes had begun to glow, they seemed to shut off like the bulb in a flashlight going out; flickering to their natural lackluster. He blinked a couple times, like he was caught off guard by what he saw, and just like that, those big blue eyes filled with tears and he choked on a sob.

"Oh, no, baby," I managed, immediately feeling guilty and afraid for him. Keros broke into a round of screaming sobs, like his heart was shattering to pieces and his world was ending. I knelt down on the floor in front of him, using my shirt to blot his tears. He wept helplessly, rubbing at his eyes before he gave up the fight and threw his arms around my neck, and I held onto him.

"No! Please, I'm sorry! Please don't go to the cold place," he wailed, pressing his wet face to my neck, "Please don't go away! Don't hate me! I'm sorry!" His words became unintelligible after that. I stroked his hair, cradling him close to ease his wracking sobs. I looked up to ask Tristan if he could help me carry Keros out, only to see that the fae he completely vanished. I blinked, confused, then looked back down at Keros, taking him and holding him back so I could wipe his face better.

"Keros, ssh, listen to me," I murmured, trying to sooth him as he sniffled and hiccupped, "Don't cry. I'll be okay, and I could never hate you. I love you, do you hear me? I love you so much. You're so special to me, Keros. You're smart and strong and brave. Nobody is gonna hurt me. Your papa is gonna keep me safe, and all of my brothers and our daddy, and my other dad, okay? No one is gonna hurt us. We're okay." Keros just sniffled pitifully. I stood up, taking him by the hand.

"How about we go find Holly now, huh?" I asked. Keros just nodded and stuck his thumb right in his mouth, appearing to relax to a degree in the process. I didn't shoo his hand away, couldn't bring myself to. He clearly needed some kind of comfort. Instead, I led the way out of the stables, surprised to see Tristan waiting outside; his head was down, his arms folded tight over his chest so that the cords of muscle in his arms bulged, his brow furrowed down low. He appeared disturbed.

"You alright?" I asked curiously. He glanced up, but didn't keep eye contact with me. His jaw was locked tight, his brow still screwed down in irritation. He only gave me a curt nod and I didn't feel like pressing further, so I led the way to the bar where we kept the rabbits.

Inside, I immediately picked up on the sound of Holly's giggling and someone gently shushing her. I raised an eyebrow, looking inside as we came around the corner. Inside, Castiel was sitting on the floor with her. All around him, fluffy wads of bunny had flocked to climb on top of him, sit on his shoulder, settle in his lap. And for the first time since I've known him, Castiel was absolutely calm with a smile on his face as Holly clapped her hands quietly, clearly delighted by the scene.

"You're like a bunny whisperer!"

"All it takes is a little peace and quiet," Castiel advised her, reminding her to stay quiet with a finger to his lips. Holly laughed, covering her mouth with her hands. Castiel smiled, but it fell away as we approached and his expression became uncomfortable.