Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

"Thorn, you can't sit in the same position forever."

"Try me."

I groaned in frustration, reaching up to rake my hands through my hair as I stood off to the side, watching my husband and father-in-law argue. Thorn hadn't moved from the recliner in the room they were using for Hadrian. He was still wearing the same clothes he had been when he'd burst in on me giving birth. He hadn't showered and he'd only eaten a small bit, drank a bit of water. In his arms, Hadrian was cradled, still hooked up to some machinery, but at least one of the IVs had been taken out and he was only on oxygen now. Thorn also made sure to feed him the special formula that had been brought for him by Geara and Viviana. Actually, that was really the only thing he did.

Lucifer sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"This is not healthy for you, or Hadrian. Ambrosius would not want you to be sitting here in the dark all day," he said and I nodded in agreement, throwing my hands out to my sides.

"Exactly! So get up off your ass and at least take Hadrian for a walk!" I protested. Thorn ground his teeth together stubbornly, curling his arms around Hadrian, who made a soft cooing sound as he fisted the thick green blanket around him. His beautiful blue eyes gazed up pleadingly at Thorn, who dropped his eyes to look at him. And Thorn melted, just like I knew he would.

"Alright," he said softly, looking up at Lucifer, "Okay... Can you come with me?" I swallowed at that. Thorn never asked for someone to help him, but he might as well have in that moment. And Lucifer smiled sadly.

"Of course," he answered. Thorn nodded and Lucifer came over to take Hadrian so Thorn could get up. Thorn was very hesitant to hand Hadrian over too. He looked at Lucifer, who held his arms out.

"I've held many a baby before, Thorn," Lucifer said softly, "Including you. I'll die before I let anything happen to him." Thorn looked at him gratefully and eventually slid Hadrian into Lucifer's arms. Thorn stood up, his body creaking and cracking as he stood and he groaned.

"Shit," he growled, then grimaced and cocked his head to sniff at himself, "Christ, is that me?"

"Yes," Lucifer admitted with a small shrug, supporting Hadrian in his arms, "Care for a shower first?" Thorn looked at him, then at Hadrian, then down at himself again. He nodded solemnly.

"I'll stay here with him until you come out," Lucifer said. Thorn nodded and quickly departed to the bathroom with a duffel bag of clothing. I watched him go, then turned back to smile at my son as he cooed at Lucifer, who smiled down at him.

"Hello, little one," he murmured, reaching up to let Hadrian tug on his finger, "I'm glad to finally hold you." He gently cradled Hadrian as he made his way over to the bed while picking up and carrying the small portable oxygen tank. He sat down on the bed and Hadrian sighed comfortably, snuggling down in his grandfather's arms. Lucifer stroked the little bit of hair on his head, cocking his head to the side to admire his grandson.

It made my heart soar to see that Lucifer loved Hadrian so much. And vice versa, because Hadrian seemed to enjoy suckling on Lucifer's finger.

"You look just like them," Lucifer murmured softly, brushing his thumb against Hadrian's chubby cheek, "Blue eyes, black hair. The world will fall in love with you, just like it did with them." I felt a wave of emotion come over me, and it was only furthered by the frustration that I couldn't be there to hold Hadrian too, that I couldn't be there to introduce Lucifer to him as his grandfather.

There was a knock at the door and I looked up as the door opened and Hades came in, only to pull up short, a frown working onto his tired face. He was probably being forced to take a break after another eight hours locked up in the library. He looked freshly showered, his damp long black hair twisted up into the hairclip Persephone had given him, its emerald green winking in the lights from the hall. He was dressed in a clean black t-shirt and matching jeans.