Chapter Forty-Four

Grouchy

GROUCHY KNOWS LITTLE OF human social etiquette. And really, he can’t imagine there’s a standard polite way for young men to greet a naked woman standing in a river. Still, Battson’s approach leaves something to be desired.

“Ma’am,” Battson booms. “Pardon our intrusion, but we simply must insist that you come with us. Terrible creatures are in the vicinity, and your safety is in jeopardy. But have no fear. As a trained soldier, I will make it my formal duty to protect you from harm’s way. As will my fellow soldier-in-training and our dwarf servants.”

“Servants, my gelatinous ass,” Grouchy says.

“Ignore him,” Hays says to Grouchy. “If you can.”

Grouchy expects the woman to cover herself in surprise, but instead she rises, hands at her side, head cocked, appraising the raft. Rain drips down her bare skin. Eventually, Battson’s head bows in embarrassment, which seems to trigger something in her. She covers her private bits and hurries out of the water. After she slips into a simple white dress hanging from a nearby bush, she returns to shore, her arms crossed over her chest. She shivers.

The two soldiers stare at her, entranced, as Grouchy paddles the raft to shore. Her delicate nose slopes over full lips and a pointed chin. Her slightly freckled face and arms flush pink from the sun. Her jewel-like beauty contrasts with her tangled hair, bruised knees, and fierce eyes.

Hays, stepping on shore, clears his throat. “Apologies, ma’am. We’re traveling to a village called Abundance. Are you from there?”

She shakes her head. “I’m from Platessa. My husband and I, we were traveling to visit family. We set up camp yestereve, but then a—a bear attacked us.”

A tear spills from her eye. Hays fumbles for a handkerchief, but Battson beats him to it.

She takes the handkerchief, dabs tears and rain from her eyes. “My husband, he pushed me away. Told me to run as fast and as far as I could while he fought off the bear. I ran into the dark. So dark. All I could hear was screaming—horrible screaming.”

Battson pats her shoulder. “I’m Battson and this is Hays. We are soldiers from the Western Kingdom, sent here by Queen Theabella to escort our prince. Hays is new to this, but I am a seasoned soldier. I’d be happy to escort you to Abundance. There, we can organize a search party for your husband. But we must go now. There is little time to waste.”

Hays grits his teeth. Clearly Grouchy is not the only one irritated by Battson.

Grouchy waves. “And I’m Grouchy. This is Snoozy.”

“A pleasure to meet you.” She offers a trembling smile. “All of you. My name is Fairess. Thank you for helping me. I didn’t know what I was going to do. It’s such a strange forest. I heard no other animals last night, and no birds singing this morning. Isn’t that strange?”

The clouds above sprinkle rain.

“The birds took their songs away when our other lady friend started eating everyone,” Snoozy says.

“Snoozy,” Grouchy says.

Hays clears his throat again. “Yes, ma’am. The monsters we mentioned earlier put a streak of fear into all the local critters.”

“Monsters?”

“We’ll explain soon enough,” Battson says. “But we should be going.”

She nods. “Can I bring a dog? We found each other yesternight. She seemed almost as frightened as I was.